Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My keyboard

The “a” key is not entering anything

This was typed with my iPad so that’s why i was able to type this time

But that key in specific feels a bit “heavier” and. “Soggi-er” than the other keys

I have a feeling it’s just dirty and i DONT know how to clean it

Can you tell me how to clean it and if it still doesn’t fix it what should I do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 3:25 AM

There are instructions for several different Apple portable and desktop keyboards online.

You can take apart and usually replace the key-cap, the hinge-clip, and silicone cup.

Generally there are three-pieces that work together including the 'keyface' or top part.

Because the MacBook Air sub-category of portable Mac has several different builds of

design and fabrication, instructions and subsequent replacement parts, will differ, too.

In order to use information such as this, requires identification of the one example of

(your) MacBook/Air (11-inch or 13-inch) and manufacture date, CPU, GPU, & etc.

A general guide to access & replace these parts, can vary somewhat; there is a video:

Free Video Installation Guide - Apple MacBook Key Installation

https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/laptop-key-installation-guide/

Various 'build year' models of MacBook Air, & display size, have different part numbers.

One of the parts beneath the key-face may have debris trapped between sections.

The information is free at this site; to identify the correct part(s) is important. I've gotten

fair results on closed topcase portable Macs, by using the information online to help me.

And the only access to try this, is beneath each key. Otherwise it's an extensive take-apart.

Generally to replace the keyboard itself is an extreme effort & major disassembly process.

There are four general areas, by date & model, of MacBook Air; these differ, details matter.

• Apple MacBook Air Replacement Keys | Keyboard Keys | Keypad Keys

https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/macbook-air/

Not knowing more about your Mac, and be able to check into that model; I'm at loss.

Perhaps you can use this site's database to locate part numbers; and look into them.

Certain years of MB/Air keyboards use different key-switch technologies; parts vary.

Perhaps to use the images of the four eras MacBook/Air model series, to access data

may be best; at least initially. (These are also click on, with series name beneath.)

Use images of the parts, within each section, to determine which model you have.

The site features official Apple parts; you simply need precise information now.

With some information, this would be far easier to investigate; and learn more.

Good luck & happy trails!🌞🎣

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2020 3:25 AM in response to Sahasvat_V

There are instructions for several different Apple portable and desktop keyboards online.

You can take apart and usually replace the key-cap, the hinge-clip, and silicone cup.

Generally there are three-pieces that work together including the 'keyface' or top part.

Because the MacBook Air sub-category of portable Mac has several different builds of

design and fabrication, instructions and subsequent replacement parts, will differ, too.

In order to use information such as this, requires identification of the one example of

(your) MacBook/Air (11-inch or 13-inch) and manufacture date, CPU, GPU, & etc.

A general guide to access & replace these parts, can vary somewhat; there is a video:

Free Video Installation Guide - Apple MacBook Key Installation

https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/laptop-key-installation-guide/

Various 'build year' models of MacBook Air, & display size, have different part numbers.

One of the parts beneath the key-face may have debris trapped between sections.

The information is free at this site; to identify the correct part(s) is important. I've gotten

fair results on closed topcase portable Macs, by using the information online to help me.

And the only access to try this, is beneath each key. Otherwise it's an extensive take-apart.

Generally to replace the keyboard itself is an extreme effort & major disassembly process.

There are four general areas, by date & model, of MacBook Air; these differ, details matter.

• Apple MacBook Air Replacement Keys | Keyboard Keys | Keypad Keys

https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/macbook-air/

Not knowing more about your Mac, and be able to check into that model; I'm at loss.

Perhaps you can use this site's database to locate part numbers; and look into them.

Certain years of MB/Air keyboards use different key-switch technologies; parts vary.

Perhaps to use the images of the four eras MacBook/Air model series, to access data

may be best; at least initially. (These are also click on, with series name beneath.)

Use images of the parts, within each section, to determine which model you have.

The site features official Apple parts; you simply need precise information now.

With some information, this would be far easier to investigate; and learn more.

Good luck & happy trails!🌞🎣

My keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.