My keyboard randomly types a, and the 1,4, and capslock buttons are sticky. I think that something spilled onto the keyboard when I wasn't looking. I am very serious in taking care of this keyboard, and I am not sure how this could have happened.

There is no damage to the actual ipad. It is just the problem with 'a', '1', '4', and capslock. the numbers are sticky to the keyboard which is why I think some liquid was spilled onto it, and the 'a' randomly types whenever I am using my keyboard. Even if I have my ipad off and the keyboard is open, the ipad will turn on as if the 'a' button is being pressed.

iPad Pro

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 2:00 PM

Regardless of what may have happened, it does appear that something got down into the keys of your keyboard to cause this issue.

Is this keyboard a Magic Keyboard or another make? Regardless, it may be difficult to remove the foreign debris. Dust, dirt, can potentially be removed by using a soft brush or judicially applying blown air. However, if it was a liquid spill, especially something like coffee (with cream and/or sugar), or juice, or a soda, even if the liquid evaporates, it could leave residual conductive debris that may be impossible to remove.

... so what can be done at this point? One option would be to contact Apple Support directly (or better still to visit your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, to see if they can assist you with this matter. If you would rather contact support directly, you can simply do so by selecting the "Support" link on the lower left-hand side of this forum's web page.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2023 2:00 PM in response to shailK

Regardless of what may have happened, it does appear that something got down into the keys of your keyboard to cause this issue.

Is this keyboard a Magic Keyboard or another make? Regardless, it may be difficult to remove the foreign debris. Dust, dirt, can potentially be removed by using a soft brush or judicially applying blown air. However, if it was a liquid spill, especially something like coffee (with cream and/or sugar), or juice, or a soda, even if the liquid evaporates, it could leave residual conductive debris that may be impossible to remove.

... so what can be done at this point? One option would be to contact Apple Support directly (or better still to visit your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, to see if they can assist you with this matter. If you would rather contact support directly, you can simply do so by selecting the "Support" link on the lower left-hand side of this forum's web page.

My keyboard randomly types a, and the 1,4, and capslock buttons are sticky. I think that something spilled onto the keyboard when I wasn't looking. I am very serious in taking care of this keyboard, and I am not sure how this could have happened.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.