Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Green Screen malfunction

I'm working with iMovie on my iMac. I have a background image on the lower timeline and an image with green background on the upper one. I select the upper greenscreen clip which highlights yellow. I go to the dropdown menu which is defaulting on Cutaway and select Green/Bluescreen. It defaults back to cutaway. No matter what I do, it will not let me select Green/Blue Screen. I rang Apple who suggested I create a new login - no dice. Can anyone help?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 2:52 AM

I don't know what's causing the problem but try this as a first step . . . .

If iMovie starts behaving unexpectedly in any way for no apparent reason, the problem could be caused by corrupt preference files. 

The cure for this is to delete the preferences. 

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch iMovie and a window will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences. 

Click “Delete Preferences” and iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with no projects etc. on the interface. 

You will have to navigate to any project you were working on and reopen it. 

Deleting preferences is completely safe and because of its simplicity it should be the first thing you do when troubleshooting.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2020 2:52 AM in response to Rigadon1

I don't know what's causing the problem but try this as a first step . . . .

If iMovie starts behaving unexpectedly in any way for no apparent reason, the problem could be caused by corrupt preference files. 

The cure for this is to delete the preferences. 

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch iMovie and a window will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences. 

Click “Delete Preferences” and iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with no projects etc. on the interface. 

You will have to navigate to any project you were working on and reopen it. 

Deleting preferences is completely safe and because of its simplicity it should be the first thing you do when troubleshooting.

iMovie Green Screen malfunction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.