Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone audio levels notification warning

I listen to music/spotify everyday and I just keep getting a notification that my volume is too loud.

Like 30min in on full volume and then I just get a warning about headphone audio levels, that my music/audio is playing too loud. And immediately the volume turns itself down to a half. Also the notification is just up there until I swipe it back up.

Is there any way to disable this? I looked into health app settings, iphone settings, searched for this on the internet but there is no one having this issue as me I guess?

It’s very unpleasant when for example I’m in the gym and I’m listening to music on my airpods. and then my music gets quiet so I need to drop the equipment to turn the volume back up.

Thanks in advance, Thomas

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 5:40 AM

This feature is the stupidest thing any phone manufacturer as ever done. I ride motorbikes, my helmet has built in speakers and I wear ear plugs. I take phone calls and play music and get directions from my sat nav while I am out riding but now the volume goes down to be replaced by an annoying beeping . This means I cannot hear any calls when riding or any music or any directions plus I have to find somewhere safe to stop to take off my gloves and turn everything off on my iPhone. This is the most dangerous feature any phone manufacturer as ever put on a phone and it now means I have to change phones because Apple think they know better than me when it comes to the volume I require.

They really haven’t thought this through and I can’t see any of my motorcycling touring buddies keeping their iPhones.

268 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 5:40 AM in response to xsull

This feature is the stupidest thing any phone manufacturer as ever done. I ride motorbikes, my helmet has built in speakers and I wear ear plugs. I take phone calls and play music and get directions from my sat nav while I am out riding but now the volume goes down to be replaced by an annoying beeping . This means I cannot hear any calls when riding or any music or any directions plus I have to find somewhere safe to stop to take off my gloves and turn everything off on my iPhone. This is the most dangerous feature any phone manufacturer as ever put on a phone and it now means I have to change phones because Apple think they know better than me when it comes to the volume I require.

They really haven’t thought this through and I can’t see any of my motorcycling touring buddies keeping their iPhones.

Jan 13, 2021 9:44 PM in response to xsull

This feature is frustrating plus it cannot be turned off!

“These notifications cannot be turned off due to regulations and safety standards”

“Exposure limits are based on the safe listening guidelines set by the WORLD HEALTH ORGANiZATION”

WHATS NEXT? THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION SAYS ITS A HEALTH RISK TO USE YOUR PHONE MORE THAN 5 HOURS. SO NOW AFTER 5 HOURS OF USAGE YOUR PHONE TURNS OFF???????????????

Dec 2, 2020 2:17 PM in response to xsull

glad i’m not the only one with this problem. nothing works. even if you turn off/on the reduce loud sounds option. nothing else anywhere to be found to disable this irritating feature.

the volume just keeps turning itself down every time, I just can’t enjoy music anymore like this. Listening to music full volume on airpods or even a wireless speaker - 10 min later: notification warning, music volume drops and if you turn it back up then again 10 min later the same thing

Nov 30, 2020 10:17 AM in response to austenlennon

I’ve never posted before and owned iPhones for 10+ years but this is driving me mad. It’s absolutely no regard for anybody using an auxiliary device to listen to music on which actually controls the volume. Not that the volume that I listen to music at has ANYTHING to do with anyone else including apple. Presume this is a bug?

Dec 28, 2020 10:02 AM in response to xsull

Screenshot included... People who use larger Bluetooth speakers at maximum volume are one of the groups that this issue impacts. I will note that I live in Missouri, USA, and despite the toggle for "Reduce Loud Sounds" being available and having two settings, neither setting eliminates this "special version" of a notification. The notification has an action associated with it that cuts the volume in half. It cuts down the volume on speakers after a period of time, and then it repeats periodically. I use the speaker during outside volleyball games and it is very disruptive given the $2000 investment in the phone and speaker. Unfortunately, I bet this affects way more users than just the ones who know enough to complain. My speaker is a Braven BRV-XXL/2 and my iPhone 12 correctly identifies the model number under the "reduce loud sounds" "feature." It lists this item under "headphones" which clearly means that iOS categorizes this bluetooth device (with 4 embedded speakers and 1 subwoofer) as a pair of headphones. The iPhone 12 knows the model number of the device, so it could easily map that to something other than headphones, but it incorrectly identifies it as headphones (see attached photo). Apple, could you please correct this issue so that your product provides this most basic functionality as expected?

Oct 29, 2020 10:34 AM in response to xsull

Good morning, xsull,

We understand that you need to stop your device from automatically warning you about the volume and adjusting your audio levels.

To change this setting, go to Settings > Sound & Haptics. Select Reduce Loud Sounds and then turn that feature off. This should prevent both the warning and the automatic adjustment. This article has more info:

Adjust the volume on iPhone - Apple Support

We hope you have a great rest of your day!

Jan 26, 2021 3:19 PM in response to xsull

So I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but it seems somewhere in one of the iOS releases (I'm on 14.4 as I post this), the feature was added to categorize a Bluetooth device as a Car Stereo, Headphone, Hearing Aid, Speaker, or Other appears to have fixed this auto-dimming "feature". Please select your device type with caution is all I will further add.

Feb 22, 2021 12:31 PM in response to ramifrommd

I too was having this hideous issue with the sound dropping out, in order to protect my hearing. As a fitness group exercise instructor, it was driving me and my participantes bonkers, as I wasn’t using headphones, I was using a Bluetooth speaker....Anyway here in the UK after the IOS 14 software update, an option in the settings appeared, asking me to tick the box... are you using, headphones, speakers or you in car stereo. And now my volume no longer drops out when I tick the speaker box. Thanks for sorting it Apple.

Mar 1, 2021 1:07 PM in response to xsull

Hi,

This was happening with my Bluetooth car stereo and would turn down while I was driving and the notification would cover my google maps and not go away, which was very irritating. My phone assumed the Bluetooth device was headphones. If your headphones/device is Bluetooth you can go into your Bluetooth settings click on the ‘i’ next to your headphones and change the type to stereo or speaker and it should stop notifying you and turning down the music.

If your headphones aren’t Bluetooth you can also just stop it from turning down the music but it will still notify you that it’s too loud by going to ‘sounds and haptics’ in settings, then ‘headphone safety’ and turn off ‘reduce loud sounds’

hope this helps!

Dec 2, 2020 9:30 AM in response to Zounssi

this is irritating me too. It’s constantly happening but doesn’t differentiate between my Bluetooth speaker, my shower speaker, and my actual headphones. And my

headphones at the moment are crap primark ones that even at full volume isn’t that loud, but my old ones were fine at half volume so I don’t think it takes into account what you’re using or if you’re even using actual headphones!

Headphone audio levels notification warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.