Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Update

Hi Team,

We have a first gen apple tv at home. I was just wondering if it is okay to update the iOS or no? since we're afraid that maybe after the update we won't be able to use it anymore like the old iphones after update.

Please let us know what to do. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Cherrie

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 6:21 AM

You might not have a problem. The first generation Apple TV was discontinued about ten years ago and the last update it had was called Apple TV Software 3.0.2

Check which system it has in its settings.

I have a 2nd generation and I continued to update it without any problem until Apple ceased to issue updates for it, so I wouldn't be afraid to apply any update offered for your 1st generation model.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2020 6:21 AM in response to cruzche2x

You might not have a problem. The first generation Apple TV was discontinued about ten years ago and the last update it had was called Apple TV Software 3.0.2

Check which system it has in its settings.

I have a 2nd generation and I continued to update it without any problem until Apple ceased to issue updates for it, so I wouldn't be afraid to apply any update offered for your 1st generation model.

Oct 25, 2020 7:59 AM in response to cruzche2x

I would be surprised if your model was 1st generation (silver-white, 7.7" wide) and functional. If your Apple TV box is black and 3.9" wide, then it is 2nd generation or later. Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Different models may have different system software versions. Some models will not be updatable any further. Please look up its current software version for reference.

Apple TV Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.