Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a janky way I can more securely attach charger to its port for my old 2012 MacBook Air?

The battery needs to be replaced, which will cost about $400. It works fine if the charger is plugged in, however, since it is attached magnetically, it gets disconnected very easily. Once disconnected, the MacBook immediately shuts off.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of janky way I can more securely attach it. I'm pretty sure super glue would damage it. Not sure if tape would be much effective either...

Any ideas?

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 1:33 PM

It works fine if the charger is plugged in, however, since it is attached magnetically, it gets disconnected very easily.

The MagSafe power adapter is designed to be easily disconnected, but the force required to do that is greater than the USB-C ports that superseded it.

Perhaps it needs to be cleaned: Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

Refer to Step 8. Routine inspection and cleaning is required.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2020 1:33 PM in response to iExmachina

It works fine if the charger is plugged in, however, since it is attached magnetically, it gets disconnected very easily.

The MagSafe power adapter is designed to be easily disconnected, but the force required to do that is greater than the USB-C ports that superseded it.

Perhaps it needs to be cleaned: Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

Refer to Step 8. Routine inspection and cleaning is required.

Oct 25, 2020 11:55 AM in response to iExmachina

If you are going to use tape, then make sure to use electrical tape as any other kind of tape may be a fire hazard.

Personally I don't recommend this in case you need to quickly pull the cable from the laptop in an emergency.

Definitely do NOT use glue!

Keep in mind if the battery actually has an internal fault it can cause performance issues and maybe even a safety issue with the laptop. Check to make sure the battery condition is not showing "Service Battery". Option-click or Right-click on the battery icon on the menu bar to see the battery condition.

Is there a janky way I can more securely attach charger to its port for my old 2012 MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.