Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hp printer software damage to computer message

Why is my computer suddenly rejecting my HP printer and claiming all HP related software downloads are damaging to my computer? Now I can't print anything and just get pop up messages to the effect that the HP will damage my computer.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 10:49 AM

Please read this information:

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. A HP Inc spokesperson told us on Friday night:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

HP supplied a new driver on Friday to fix the issue:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

However, that "fix" is producing this error for some users:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer…

If you're seeing that, try this fix. Go to System Preferences, select Printers and Scanners. Select your printer from the list then delete (-) it. Then add (+) your printer back and select the generic driver to use.

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue.

(2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

Open >System Preferences>Software Update      (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2020 10:49 AM in response to momsd2d

Please read this information:

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. A HP Inc spokesperson told us on Friday night:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

HP supplied a new driver on Friday to fix the issue:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

However, that "fix" is producing this error for some users:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer…

If you're seeing that, try this fix. Go to System Preferences, select Printers and Scanners. Select your printer from the list then delete (-) it. Then add (+) your printer back and select the generic driver to use.

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue.

(2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

Open >System Preferences>Software Update      (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

hp printer software damage to computer message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.