Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert mkv files and import them into imovie

I'm using iMovie 10. I'm not willing to upgrade to iMovie 11 because that requires os 10.15 and if I upgrade to os 10.15 some of my apps will cease to work. In any case, I have some mkv files. When I convert them into any format compatible with iMovie I run into problem. I'm converting them using Python which uses the module ffmpeg. I'm not willing to buy some 3rd party app that converts the mkv files because they cost money and ffmpeg should be able to do everything I need to do. When I convert the files to mp4 the files work fine with VLC player but after importing them to iMovie there is no video. When I convert the files into .avi or .mov the audio is missing.

The solution provided here does not work, namely, just changing the extension of the file.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2282019?login=true

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 9:26 PM

Never mind. I converted the files into both .mov and .mp3 and I detached the audio from the file, deleted it, then imported the .mp3 file. I'm not happy with that solution but that will do for now.

1 reply

Convert mkv files and import them into imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.