Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi connect issues

Having a wifi connection problem. Almost every time on turn on Mac, I have a wifi connection but no internet. The work around that fixes it every time is to go into network and delete the location, set up a new location and save it. I have access! what is causing this? Running 10.15.7 but had the issue before that version as well. How can i fix? Thanks for any help or insight.

Jim

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 5:41 AM

jimdogg37 wrote:

Having a wifi connection problem. Almost every time on turn on Mac, I have a wifi connection but no internet. The work around that fixes it every time is to go into network and delete the location, set up a new location and save it. I have access! what is causing this? Running 10.15.7 but had the issue before that version as well. How can i fix? Thanks for any help or insight.

Jim

Uninstall all third party VPN, Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizes and test.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2020 5:41 AM in response to jimdogg37

jimdogg37 wrote:

Jim

Uninstall all third party VPN, Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizes and test.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Oct 26, 2020 5:46 AM in response to jimdogg37

WiFi can be very temperamental. Some things to remember:

1. Make sure the WiFi network name is a one with a username and password as shown on your WiFi router/modem. Do not use the open XFinity network.
  2. 5 Ghz has higher speed 2.4 Ghz for overall bandwidth.
  3. 802.11n and/or 802.11ac is better than 802.11g or 802.11b. Early 2006 and earlier Macs can't use 802.11n or ac and will slow down your overall WiFi connections.
  4. You must be at least 5 feet from the WiFi router but not more than 150 feet line of sight. Use additional WiFi routers in a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) if the signal is weak where you are trying to pick it up.
  5. Make sure you limit the number of devices on WiFi. Firesticks, TVs, phones all add to bandwidth constraints of the WiFi router. If possible, adapt your machine to ethernet and connect directly to the ethernet LAN port of the router.
  6. Make sure the modem or router doesn't need resetting. This entails, unplugging for 45 seconds, and plugging back in, and waiting a couple minutes.

If all else fails, and the router is provided by your Cable/Fiber supplier, call them and ask them to reset it.

wifi connect issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.