Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro lets me change its nam, then changes it back.

Computer has a new, clean installation of High Sierra, which I then migrated my old computer's files onto, using the mac migration tools. The computer named itself Roger's Macbook Pro, using the transferred User Name for the computer name, I'm guessing. Now, a few sessions later, I tried giving the computer a new name . It's not a name that I have ever used before, nor that duplicates another computer name on my four-device network. The Sharing Preferences pane allows me to make the name change, then silently changes the name back to the previous one. No error message. How do I make it stick?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 11:16 PM

I don't think I ever closed the preferences pane during the time I was trying to do this. Happened four, maybe five times. Since then, another issue prompted me to restart the computer. While it was booting, it occurred to me that a restart might have some effect on this little problem. I'll never know for sure whether it was the restart or not - but I tried it again and it worked exactly like it should have previously. Problem apparently solved.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2020 11:16 PM in response to BDAqua

I don't think I ever closed the preferences pane during the time I was trying to do this. Happened four, maybe five times. Since then, another issue prompted me to restart the computer. While it was booting, it occurred to me that a restart might have some effect on this little problem. I'll never know for sure whether it was the restart or not - but I tried it again and it worked exactly like it should have previously. Problem apparently solved.

Macbook Pro lets me change its nam, then changes it back.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.