Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to restore a photos library from time machine but keep the photos since the backup was taken?

I think I deleted some photos from a period of about a year taken in 2015. I have a time machine backup on an external hard drive from 2017 which should contain those photos but I don't want to lose the photos I've taken since 2017. If I restore the 2017 library from time machine, will it remove all of the photos taken after 2017? If so, is there an easy way to recover the deleted photos without losing the more recent ones?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 9:41 AM

You could restore the older library with a different name, so it will not overwrite the current library.

Try it this way:

• Open the folder with your current Photos Library in the Finder (usually the Pictures folder).
  • Launch Time Machine, go back in time to 2017, then ctrl-click the Photos Library you want to restore.
  • Select the option "restore to ..." and select a different folder, perhaps on an external volume.
  • Then double click the restored library in Photos to be able to find the missing photos. export them to some folder (with File > export > export unmodified original) to save them. Now quit Photos, open your current library and import the missing photos.

You may need to enter Time Machine by using the "Browse different backup", if the older backup you want to use is not your current backup. In that case hold down the options key while launching Time Machine.

I see, Tony already explained this. But since I wasted time taking a screenshot, I'll keep the post 😀

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2020 9:41 AM in response to Mr_Rosewater

You could restore the older library with a different name, so it will not overwrite the current library.

Try it this way:

• Open the folder with your current Photos Library in the Finder (usually the Pictures folder).
  • Launch Time Machine, go back in time to 2017, then ctrl-click the Photos Library you want to restore.
  • Select the option "restore to ..." and select a different folder, perhaps on an external volume.
  • Then double click the restored library in Photos to be able to find the missing photos. export them to some folder (with File > export > export unmodified original) to save them. Now quit Photos, open your current library and import the missing photos.

You may need to enter Time Machine by using the "Browse different backup", if the older backup you want to use is not your current backup. In that case hold down the options key while launching Time Machine.

I see, Tony already explained this. But since I wasted time taking a screenshot, I'll keep the post 😀

Oct 26, 2020 9:38 AM in response to Mr_Rosewater

Hi

Do you have space to restore the 2017 library somewhere else on your system. Be aware that if you put it on an external drive, it must be formatted correctly as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

If you go into time machine, then you can right click on the photos library and chose restore to... Then choose a place to restore it to that is different from where your current library is stored (normally your current library will be in pictures, but you can check by looking in photos preferences)

Once it is restored (It could take a long time) you can open it by holding down the option key when starting photos.

Then export the photos you want to recover to somewhere else on your system (I suggest exporting unmodified originals).

Once exported, you can then close the recovered library and reopen your current library (use the option key again to choose it). Finally import the recovered image files into your current library.

(Note - I've not tried this, but this is the process I would use if I was trying to do what you want to do)

Oct 26, 2020 10:29 AM in response to Mr_Rosewater

You can select any volume, when you restore the library with "Restore to ...". But Photos has problems with the file ownership, if a Photos Library is on a volume, that has been used for Time Machine backups.

When you restore the library, it should be restored to a folder on a volume, that has not been used by Time Machine, or it would not be save to open the restored library in Photos.

Is it possible to restore a photos library from time machine but keep the photos since the backup was taken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.