Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

People in Photos

I am getting a message that says: "PEOPLE will finish updating when PHOTOS is in the background" What does this mean and how do I correct?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 9:56 AM

There are two places, where Photos could be showing this message.

1. Initially, you will just be seeing this message when you open the main People album. Then you should also be seeing a count down with the number of photos that still need scanning for faces. This can take a really long time because it requires an enormous amount of processing. For my moderately sized library with just 50000 photos and videos it took roughly two weeks.
  2. When you open albums for individual contacts and are seeing a message about "PEOPLE will finish updating when PHOTOS is in the background" you can usually safely ignore it. There are occasionally some tagged people in your library, where Photos is not able to get started with this particular person, because there are not enough photos of this person in our library. I have a few people albums for persons, that I will never meet again to to be able to take a second photo. I have only one scanned family photo of them, but Photos needs at least a second photo to be able to learn what the person looks like. These particular albums will be showing the message forever "PEOPLE will finish updating when PHOTOS is in the background". If you have more photos of the person in question, try to find them and check, if Photos has marked the face with a circle. Then add a name to help Photos to get started with this person.

An example, what it looks like, when there is only one face in the album of a person:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2020 9:56 AM in response to JDFFergie

There are two places, where Photos could be showing this message.

1. Initially, you will just be seeing this message when you open the main People album. Then you should also be seeing a count down with the number of photos that still need scanning for faces. This can take a really long time because it requires an enormous amount of processing. For my moderately sized library with just 50000 photos and videos it took roughly two weeks.
  2. When you open albums for individual contacts and are seeing a message about "PEOPLE will finish updating when PHOTOS is in the background" you can usually safely ignore it. There are occasionally some tagged people in your library, where Photos is not able to get started with this particular person, because there are not enough photos of this person in our library. I have a few people albums for persons, that I will never meet again to to be able to take a second photo. I have only one scanned family photo of them, but Photos needs at least a second photo to be able to learn what the person looks like. These particular albums will be showing the message forever "PEOPLE will finish updating when PHOTOS is in the background". If you have more photos of the person in question, try to find them and check, if Photos has marked the face with a circle. Then add a name to help Photos to get started with this person.

An example, what it looks like, when there is only one face in the album of a person:

People in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.