Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.15.7 Catalina stopped my HP printer

My Mac auto updated to 10.15.7 and now my HP 8600 printer doesn't work and my Mac keeps popping up and telling me that all the little applets that comprise the existing driver are malware. When I deleted the driver and downloaded a new one from HP's print driver support page, the OS rejects it the same way. How do I use my HP 8600 printer?

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 2:53 PM

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. An HP Inc spokesperson said:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

A fix was provided rather quickly. Do the following, per fellow forum member, Lawrence Finch:

A. Get the most recent HP drivers, either from:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

or

HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X

or

System Preferences > Software Update (if you don't see it, press Command+R)

B. Run the installer.

C. When the installer completes, go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, highlight the HP printer and remove it. Then add it back. This is necessary because otherwise it will continue to use the now unsigned drivers and it will appear that the problem has not been fixed. Apparently installing the update does not remove the old drivers.

A note on AirPrint: Your Mac may say it can’t find the AirPrint printer. If that should happen, reboot your router.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2020 2:53 PM in response to HPprinterissuesCatalina

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. An HP Inc spokesperson said:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

A fix was provided rather quickly. Do the following, per fellow forum member, Lawrence Finch:

A. Get the most recent HP drivers, either from:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

or

HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X

or

System Preferences > Software Update (if you don't see it, press Command+R)

B. Run the installer.

C. When the installer completes, go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, highlight the HP printer and remove it. Then add it back. This is necessary because otherwise it will continue to use the now unsigned drivers and it will appear that the problem has not been fixed. Apparently installing the update does not remove the old drivers.

A note on AirPrint: Your Mac may say it can’t find the AirPrint printer. If that should happen, reboot your router.

10.15.7 Catalina stopped my HP printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.