Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12pro photos app wrong rendering of colors

I just gut the 12pro and the photos app seems to be adding a HDR effect to my photos taken in the p3 color (my photos from my old XR and 12pro). It looks wrong, the whites are super bright and colors seem to be effected. It’s really only Noticeable in pictures with high contrast with a bright object or background. It looks neat sometimes making the pictures “pop”, but It makes editing in the photos app unreliable, as the results look nothing like the do on all my other devices.

What’s interesting is that when using other apps like Google photos, the pictures render correctly, like they used to on my XR. Also if you take a screenshot, the problem is no longer Exists in the screenshot and is now rendered properly.

Anyone else notice this?

Posted on Oct 27, 2020 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 9:10 AM

I am not talking about Snapchat (I’m 36 years old for the love of God) or IG.

This is the issue:

1) open camera

2) adjust exposure

3) looks fine on screen

4) take photo

5) open photo in photo app

6) it looks just like the way you took it for about half a second, then it changes - brighter and often yellower.

I have played with every setting both in the camera and the photos app.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2020 9:10 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I am not talking about Snapchat (I’m 36 years old for the love of God) or IG.

This is the issue:

1) open camera

2) adjust exposure

3) looks fine on screen

4) take photo

5) open photo in photo app

6) it looks just like the way you took it for about half a second, then it changes - brighter and often yellower.

I have played with every setting both in the camera and the photos app.

Nov 5, 2020 1:47 PM in response to VeganBae

Just to verify, Did you check the setting in the settings app for photos and click the option that I showed? It’s a nifty new feature to make glowing things actually glow. It looks neat. It’s the whole Dolby vision thing. But is not useful when sharing or posting or editing for prints. It messed up colors to be less photographic and more real supposedly. You will notice the sun or bright lights really shine and if you turn it off, you get more of a natural photograph like we are used to seeing.

Nov 6, 2020 3:59 AM in response to Ryan Eads

Thank you for answering! Yes. I did all of that before coming here. As indicated in my comments above, I tried all settings for both the camera and in the photos app. I turned them all off, then tried different combinations of them...etc etc. the HDR was the first thing I tried as it seemed like it would be the most logical solution. I reset the phone twice and restarted it at least four times. My searches turned up a video of this happening with the 11pro, but that phone has a way to turn it off. This doesn’t. (And it seems it’s not happening to other people without a fix.)

Dec 20, 2020 11:58 AM in response to LexxMirandaa

I, myself, now see what I think you are talking about. I believe it’s apples deep fusion. The camera does not show you the deep fusion processing and when you take the picture, it quickly will show you the picture without it and then shortly snap to it after the image gets processed. If you turn off smart hdr, it might solve that issue, but picture will be less dynamic.

iPhone 12pro photos app wrong rendering of colors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.