Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Previously used png transparent photos now showing with solid white background

Since update to iOS 16.3.1 all my saved (thousands) of png transparent photos are now turning up in my edits as solid white and causing massive extra work. Is this an update caused problem and is there a fix coming? Is there a way to restore their transparency without doing individual images trying to return to original? Some are just too intricate for manual. These were literally working fine a couple days ago and only common link is iOS update on phone and iPad.

iPad Pro (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 4:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 4:01 PM

Others also experience this issue:

Discussion thread:

Image Transparency Issues - Apple Community

To ensure you download the full resolution images from iCloud:

Download iCloud photos and videos - Apple Support

says

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap iCloud, then tap Photos.
  3. Select Download and Keep Originals.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 4:01 PM in response to Tanithrea

Others also experience this issue:

Discussion thread:

Image Transparency Issues - Apple Community

To ensure you download the full resolution images from iCloud:

Download iCloud photos and videos - Apple Support

says

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap iCloud, then tap Photos.
  3. Select Download and Keep Originals.

May 3, 2023 3:36 PM in response to Tanithrea

You might want to reach out to the Photos Support Team:

There is a "Get Support" link (online chat, phone, eMail etc)

at the bottom of their webpage (link below):

Photos Support Website

Photos - Official Apple Support

or for iCloud:

iCloud Support

You could also send feedback to those who work behind-the-scenes at Apple. They likely won't reply, yet your feedback will reach those who work on Photos:

Webform for feedback:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

Apr 28, 2023 6:39 PM in response to Tanithrea

Wondering whether you usually store the images with transparent backgrounds in the Files app.

Seems it could be the Photos app that may not open images that have transparent backgrounds, without changing them to white.

(On Mac it is the "Preview" app that preserves the transparency)

Re:  "Is there a way to restore their transparency without doing individual images trying to return to original?"

In this discussion thread:Transparent PNG files not working on iPho… - Apple Community

GameBlox says:

“You have to turn off the "Optimize" option at "iCloud Photo Library"

and

“The only way I can get the transparencies back is to send myself an email with the image, then iCloud finally shares the uncompressed version”.

May 3, 2023 3:04 PM in response to brbo

The images are just always in my photos, the optimise is turned off, there is device storage available on both iPad and iPhone it has worked for years no problem. I moved png images from old iPad in my photos backed up from iCloud over the years and I scrolled back to ones I have had since 2017 and used perfectly before update - they all have all gone solid now. Everything saved AFTER the update is staying transparent. Now everything is ruined and I literally don’t fancy emailing myself over 3000 png images to resave them in the format that apple have clearly caused to change. Is there ANY way to fix this without that? Is anyone else getting this? The image was png but cloud has changed it?

Apr 28, 2023 9:53 AM in response to brbo

Hi, I do use iCloud and pay for the larger storage but if im selecting the image to import into sketchbook, it’s only pulling all previous images with solid backgrounds. New transparent are staying intact but I am looking at a LOT of work and files changed and the source has plenty room on iPad as well as iCloud. So does my iPhone, so none are set to optimise space on devices. The only change has been the iOS update. I just need a way to turn these images back.

Previously used png transparent photos now showing with solid white background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.