Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive Backup

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro running Catalina. I have had numerous issues with Catalina, and it has been to the genius bar on several occasions. I use iCloud Drive to free space on my computer. Recently it came to my attention that my user name was changed at some point and I lost many photos and documents. I backup weekly to an external Time Machine backup; however, many of the photos weren't backed up because they were "in the cloud" and not on the computer, as I have now learned. How do I back up everything in iCloud drive, or should I just get everything out of there and use another method? Apple has been zero help on this, and I'm not sure of my next step to ensure everything I have is actually backed up.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 1:41 PM

tammyfromleague city wrote:

Thanks for that info, it's good to know, but also what about the documents that are in iCloud Drive, and have the little cloud icon next to the file name on my computer. How do I back up those documents?

You must have Optimize Mac Storage enabled so you only have a pointer to the actual file on your drive. You'll have to download them so that you can backup the full file.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 1:41 PM in response to tammyfromleague city

Thanks for that info, it's good to know, but also what about the documents that are in iCloud Drive, and have the little cloud icon next to the file name on my computer. How do I back up those documents?

You must have Optimize Mac Storage enabled so you only have a pointer to the actual file on your drive. You'll have to download them so that you can backup the full file.

Oct 28, 2020 10:47 AM in response to tammyfromleague city

You wrote - my user name was changed at some point and I lost many photos and documents. I

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548

Avoid changing it , rather create a new admin account in users and groups https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac

If there are two admin account created in users and groups , to transfer photos from one admin account to another account .

Click on finder > Go > home > your user name > pictures > Photos Library.photoslibrary just right click on it and click on show package contents > click on masters folder to get selected , copy the complete master folder ( use command and C keys ) , again close the finder window , click on Go > Home >( paste use command and V keys ) over the shared folder .

Oct 28, 2020 11:49 AM in response to tammyfromleague city

I use iCloud Drive to free space on my computer.

That's not how iCloud Drive works. It's not an off computer storage facility. It's a syncing service to keep the same files on all computers that are signed into the same iCloud ID and have iCloud Drive enabled. Also each device will house the same documents on it so that the documents can be accessed even when there's no internet connection. Those files are located in your User/Home/Library/Mobile Documents folder

and is accessed this way:

iCloud Drive Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.