Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black border on horizontal and vertical edges of second display

I have a new HP 27q monitor which supports a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1440. It is currently connected to my late 2013 21" iMac via a mini DP to DP cable. macOS (Mojave 10.14.6) confirms that it is providing the full resolution that the the monitor supports, but there is a 7 or 8 millimetre black border on both vertical edges and approximately the same across the top (but not the bottom)

It is really a shame as the monitor has a very thin bezel and would look great otherwise. There are no options on the on-board menu on the monitor itself to adjust the displayed image.

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 7:26 AM

Solved: This is not a fault as such with the monitor, but an intentional 'feature' of it, (as confirmed by other owners on other forums). HP wanted to advertise a monitor with thin bezels, but what they fail to mention is that comes at the cost of having a border around the top and vertical edges of the image within the display. In short, there is nothing that can be done about it. I will be returning my unit shortly.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2020 7:26 AM in response to GlobularFlark

Solved: This is not a fault as such with the monitor, but an intentional 'feature' of it, (as confirmed by other owners on other forums). HP wanted to advertise a monitor with thin bezels, but what they fail to mention is that comes at the cost of having a border around the top and vertical edges of the image within the display. In short, there is nothing that can be done about it. I will be returning my unit shortly.

Oct 28, 2020 9:33 AM in response to GlobularFlark

Sound like your setup maybe in Mirroring mode. If it is, then you need to switch to Extended Desktop Mode.

To do that, go to > Apple > System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement tap and uncheck Mirror Displays.

Then while in Extended Desktop Mode, go to > Apple > System Preferences > Displays > Display tab > hold the Option (Alt) key and click the Scaled button and try selecting a different resolution that better fits HP 27" Display.

If that doesn't help, then you may need to make the change using the HP's on-display menu.

Black border on horizontal and vertical edges of second display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.