Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t send text messages when phone is off

Just got a new Apple Watch with cellular connection. I can’t send or receive TEXT messages. I can send and receive calls and emails just fine. I have Verizon. The green bar above the messages hangs and returns a failed to send. When I turn my phone back on, the text goes through if I resend it.

Apple Watch Edition

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 11:28 AM

8 replies

Nov 1, 2020 3:41 PM in response to Tatebiz

Hello Tatebiz,

Congratulations on your new Apple Watch! We’d like to help and get those messages sending and receiving on your watch as expected.

Take a look at If you can’t send or receive messages on your Apple Watch. It has some steps for you to try.

If none of those steps work, try testing the cellular connection on your watch. To do this, put your iPhone in Airplane mode, or disable Bluetooth from Settings > Bluetooth (toggling Bluetooth in Control Center will not work), then disable Wi-Fi from the Apple Watch Control Center (or leaving a Wi-Fi network's coverage). It may take up to 60 seconds for the Watch to establish a cellular connection. 

If your Watch successfully shows a green cellular icon in the Watch Control Center, along with signal 'dots', cellular connectivity is working as intended. You may want to contact Apple Support.

Take care!

Nov 1, 2020 4:49 PM in response to jeremy_v

Jeremy_v

I've done all of the above, including 2 hours on the phone with Verizon. No one seems to know why I can’t send or receive texts to an android device. I can do everything else on cellular alone. It is not a signal strength issue either. I’ve seen others with same problem on the forums. So, please advise.

Nov 1, 2020 11:12 PM in response to deggie

deggie - My phone IS turned on. But, unlike as advertised, the watch will not send or receive text messages from an android device... ie. I can only communicate via text with other Apple devices. Can you leave your iPhone home, go out of its range and send or receive a text message to or get one from an android friend?

Can’t send text messages when phone is off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.