Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Series 4 watch Can not send/receive SMS while on cellular with iPhone 6S turned on

I have an iPhone 6S paired to an Apple Watch Series 4. However, when the Apple watch is not connected to the phone via bluetooth, it will note receive or send SMS or iMessages sent to my phone number. It continues to receive iMessages if they send directly to my apple id. I've unpaired and repaired, reset the network settings, logged out of iMessages and back in on all devices, and Apple support has replaced the apple watch. All of which has not resolved the issue. Apple support says they have no further suggestions. Has anyone else experienced this and have any other solutions? Could it be a bug in my phone software from the years of use?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 7:00 PM

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

Read the footnotes.

The iPhone is necessary for SMS/MMS texting. It can be at home, but it must be connected to the Internet so that the Apple Watch can use the cellular data connection to talk to the iPhone and ask it to perform the SMS/MMS services.

1 reply

Series 4 watch Can not send/receive SMS while on cellular with iPhone 6S turned on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.