Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32 bit Word, Exel, and Powerpoint won't open in OSCatalina. Can I upgrade with no cost?

I recently upgraded from Sierra to Catalina OS. On completion of the upgrade the Microsoft Word, Exel, and PowerPoint apps would not open. A prompt came up to select a subscription for $78/annual. Is it possible to upgrade without a cost?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 4:50 PM

Yes, you can get the Teams version. You can download either.

If you get the $99 per year subscription, you can install Office 365 on up to any six devices. Mac, Windows, iPad. The advantage of that, if you need it, is there has never been a Mac version of Access. On the 365 plan, you can put one of your six installs on a Windows computer (or Windows on your Mac). Then you not only have Office for your Mac, but also a way to run Access.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 4:50 PM in response to Enreekay

Yes, you can get the Teams version. You can download either.

If you get the $99 per year subscription, you can install Office 365 on up to any six devices. Mac, Windows, iPad. The advantage of that, if you need it, is there has never been a Mac version of Access. On the 365 plan, you can put one of your six installs on a Windows computer (or Windows on your Mac). Then you not only have Office for your Mac, but also a way to run Access.

Oct 28, 2020 2:55 PM in response to Enreekay

No, there is no free upgrade. Not if you require MS Office.

The prompt is to get you to upgrade to the subscription, Office 365. You can upgrade for a one-time cost perpetual license. Office 2019 is $150 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). $250 if you need to include Outlook.

But there is one "free" method. Create a Microsoft user account and login. From there you can indeed use Office online for free. Downsides are it can only be used through your web browser, and all documents are saved on Microsoft's servers. You cannot save them locally.

32 bit Word, Exel, and Powerpoint won't open in OSCatalina. Can I upgrade with no cost?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.