Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hos do you make the pencil with an A appear? (Apple Pencil 2)

Hey, just got my new iPad Air 4 with the Apple Pencil. Wanted to convert hand writing into text. I read online that I have to use the pencil with an A on it, but that one doesn’t appear as one of my options... Can you guys advice me?

thanks !

iPad Air, 14

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 1:13 AM

Keeping in mind that "Scribble" (hand writing automatically converted into text) is available for US English and Traditional and Simplified Chinese, I don't know what "A" you are talking about.

iPad Air 4th generation (your iPad) supports Apple Pencil 2nd Generation only.

See this article for compatibility:--> Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Then read this support page:--> Use Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you mean something different, please better specify your needs.

Regards

Giulio

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2020 1:13 AM in response to morten182

Keeping in mind that "Scribble" (hand writing automatically converted into text) is available for US English and Traditional and Simplified Chinese, I don't know what "A" you are talking about.

iPad Air 4th generation (your iPad) supports Apple Pencil 2nd Generation only.

See this article for compatibility:--> Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Then read this support page:--> Use Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you mean something different, please better specify your needs.

Regards

Giulio

Oct 29, 2020 3:26 AM in response to morten182

Your second generation pencil does not need to have letter “A” printed on the casing. The icon circled in your screenshot, with the “A”, is simply the tool icon that corresponds with the Scribble tool.

The other icons in the toolbar show other tools (such the Pen, Highlighter, Crayon and Eraser). Those with numbers on the icon show the currently selected tool setting.

More information about using your Apple Pencil with iPad can be found here:

Use Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

Hos do you make the pencil with an A appear? (Apple Pencil 2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.