Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APPLE TV 4K - No choice for audio output

I started having problem with my Apple TV 4K yesterday in that in settings...Video and Audio...Audio...Default Audio Output there is only one choice of “TV Speakers”. Previously I was able to see and select HomePod and my Sonos speakers here. Now I am only able to select/deselect speakers in the Music app. What gives?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 2:00 AM

Hi Joshua,

I found a workaround : launch l'app TV on you're AppleTV start a video. During playback, swipe down on the Touch surface of the Siri Remote to display the Info pane, then swipe horizontally to access the Audio pane.

https://support.apple.com/fr-fr/guide/tv/atvbab8af9b3/14.0/tvos/14.0

Nicolas

8 replies

Nov 25, 2020 2:03 PM in response to jdllferg

Apple screw us up with the latest update.

On your AppleTV remote, hold the “Home” button, the one that looks like a TV, a menu will pop up on screen, and in the bottom left you should be able to select your AirPlay speakers, you will have to do this every time you turn on your AppleTV.

If you would like to have the same feature as before, drop a message on Apple’s feedback site.

Nov 2, 2020 12:35 PM in response to Joshua Derrick

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having an issue with your Apple TV audio output. We're happy to help.

Has a normal restart of your HomePod, Apple TV, Sonos speakers, or Wi-Fi router been completed since noticing the issue? If not, we'd recommend starting there. If the issue continues be sure your Apple TV is updated to the latest tvOS software. If needed, the article here can help you check for and complete any updates: How to update your Apple TV

If the issue continues, we recommend checking to see if you can calibrate the audio with the steps near the bottom of the guide here: Adjust video and audio settings on Apple TV or selected a different audio source when watching a movie or TV with these steps: Adjust Apple TV audio while playing a movie or TV show

Cheers!

Nov 14, 2020 1:13 PM in response to Joshua Derrick

This has happened to me too, around the same too. I'm pretty sure the setting didn't used to be called "Default Audio Output" either. I think it was just "Audio Output". I used to connect to the Sonos every time I turned on the Apple TV, and would have loved to set it as the default, but that was not an option. Now, because the Sonos isn't appearing in the newly-renamed (I think) "Default Audio Output" menu, I can't connect to it at all.

Really annoying troubleshooting this because when you search for it, these devices could connect with each other in so many different ways that it's hard to even find mention of this, but it definitely worked for me for the last year or two. It seems that they've removed this feature for some reason, whether by mistake or by design.

I'm having to find workarounds to watch stuff involving my cables and my MacBook Pro, which defeats the point of owning the Apple TV in the first place.

Hopefully they fix this or else a useful answer appears soon.

Nov 15, 2020 1:21 PM in response to NBulteau

Legend! Thanks so much. Not tried the home app yet, but the Info pane worked with stuff I'd purchased on iTunes and the Amazon Prime app. Couldn't get it to work on Disney+ as that had it's own menu, but I find swiping up/down to be pretty hit-and-miss on the remote anyway.

In truth, it's a welcome change. I would often forget to switch the audio to the Sonos and start watching something before I realise. I then had to head back to the main menu and either go into settings or press and hold play/pause (doesn't seem to work anymore either). This way I can do it from within the video. But I wish they included a note on the old menu or made it easier to learn about the change. As I say, I googled it a lot and kept finding advice about other ways in which a Sonos can interact with an apple tv or another apple product. The help docs I found said it should just show up in that menu, like it used to.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2020 12:36 PM in response to raina_b22

Please help! I am having the same issue. With the leanest updates, the option to choose my Sonos system as the audio output is gone. When I swipe down to get to the audio settings while watching TV, my sonos system shows up but will not connect when selected. I have an Apple TV 4K with all updates installed. When I try to add the Sonos system to the Home app as some have suggested, the speakers never show as available to add. I am extremely frustrated with having to waste time on this when everything was working.

APPLE TV 4K - No choice for audio output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.