Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2012 asks for administrator password

Hello,

I bought a Mac Mini 2012 from ebay. I removed the HDD and insert a fresh Samsung SSD. Then I created a USB with Catalina, insert it into the Mac and booted from the USB.

Now when I try to install Catalina on the fresh SSD it asks for the administrator user and password.

I asked the seller for it, but he does not know it either. He told me, that he reinstalled it and after that it didn't ask for a password.

I tried the "resetpassword" method, but I had no installed OS to choose.

Also tried another method with the terminal, to remove a installedos file (or something like that). But this also didn't work.

Is there any other way to install the Mac Mini?

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 6:32 AM

Just saw your post, but I did that too but a bit different.

I installed Mounten Lion. Installed High Sierra directly thorugh the OS (without booting from the USB), but this still asked for a administrator password. I don't know why, but it took the password which I first set when I installed Mounten Lion by mistake before.

When I booted from the USB it did not take the password. Kind of weird.

But now it works :)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2020 6:32 AM in response to den.thed

Just saw your post, but I did that too but a bit different.

I installed Mounten Lion. Installed High Sierra directly thorugh the OS (without booting from the USB), but this still asked for a administrator password. I don't know why, but it took the password which I first set when I installed Mounten Lion by mistake before.

When I booted from the USB it did not take the password. Kind of weird.

But now it works :)

Oct 29, 2020 7:15 AM in response to ujzhg

Sounds like the original owner did not properly prepare it to sell.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

----------------------------

Reinstall the macOS that originally or closest version available using Shift-Option-⌘-R and set it up with your Apple ID.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

----------------------------

If that works, then you can upgrade it to the latest macOS using your Apple ID.

If it does not work, then you need to contact the owner and return it to them.

Oct 29, 2020 7:25 AM in response to den.thed

I reinstalled it with just ⌘-R to OS X Lion, this works fine. But I can't upgrade it farther, because the iTunes can't connect to the App Store.

Shift-Option-⌘-R just shoes me Lion too, but I know that there are newer versions avaible for the Mac Mini 2012.

/Edit:

I just ask the seller, he did all the necessary steps from the guid, when selling a mac.

I also just ask him to see if it is still in the iCloud. It is not.

What now? Everything should be fine.

Mac Mini 2012 asks for administrator password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.