Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find my administrator password to install macOS Monterey?

I havent used my macbook air for over a year, want to install Monterey, needs my administrator password, I have no idea what it is. Please advise.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 1:49 PM

2 replies

Jun 23, 2022 4:01 PM in response to Neisey2818

Neisey2818 wrote:

I havent used my macbook air for over a year, want to install Monterey, needs my administrator password, I have no idea what it is. Please advise.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

You do not say what exact macbook air is this —the year is important here

what exact macOS are you currently running on your neglected mackbook air—this is important as well

How did you login to your account?

If you have only one account on your Mac, then you are admin, this is the same as your user psswd.

This is how you log into your Mac when you boot it up— with your username and password.

What is the issue beyond this...(?)

AppleID and psswd you needed to log into these forums, this is the same AppleID/psswd to download from the Apple Store.

What happens if you go through >System Preferences>Software update

alternatively:

How to upgrade to macOS Monterey

How to upgrade to macOS Monterey - Apple Support

or directly from your browser for the full installer from Apples own Software Distribution Network ~11.82GB

https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/16/08/012-06873-A_636SHHRD4L/528ojpmw00mulgfjsz9k50modkj31a9v0p/InstallAssistant.pkg

How to find my administrator password to install macOS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.