Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"<utility> will damage your computer" messages

I'm seeing various pop-up messages about various utilities that will damage my computer and the utility will not be run. They seem to be related to my HP printer support, though I did also get one from the creation of a .PDF from the mass.gov website. This just started a couple days ago.

The most irritating one is the "HPDeviceMonitoring.framework" that gets started on startup and will continue to be restarted if it can't run, causing the "damage my computer" message to continuously pop up.

I tried removing my HP printers from my computer and I can't reinstall them due to the same message for "HPDM.framework" which presumably is required to install an HP printer.

I also saw it when attempting to scan with the HP scanner app.

All of these utilities are from "Identified Developer" and were last updated on 10/26/2017. They have been working until a couple days ago.

Before I rebuild my computer, I have the following question: Was there a change in the latest version of Catalina that could be causing this problem? Or is there a known issue (including possible malware) that could be causing this?

Just removing the offending software doesn't allow me to get support for my HP printers.

Specifics about my Mac:

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 11:02 AM

From one of our heavy hitters, Kurt Lang:

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. An HP Inc spokesperson said on Friday night:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

HP supplied a new driver on Friday to fix the issue:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

However, that "fix" is producing this error for some users:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer…

If you're seeing that, try this fix. Go to System Preferences, select Printers and Scanners. Select your printer from the list then delete (-) it. Then add (+) your printer back and select the generic driver to use.

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue.

(2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

Open >System Preferences>Software Update (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

If you don't see it there, Apple now has it posted as a separate, manual download.

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

=======================================

I have created a tested “recipe” to resolve this:

A. Get the most recent HP drivers, either from:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

or

HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X

or

System Preferences/Software update (it wasn’t there on my MBP, however)

B. Run the installer.

C. When the installer completes, go to System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, highlight the HP printer and remove it. Then add it back. This is necessary because otherwise it may continue to use the now unsigned drivers and it will appear that the problem has not been fixed. Apparently installing the update does not remove the old drivers.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2020 11:02 AM in response to gregdepp

From one of our heavy hitters, Kurt Lang:

From sources familiar with the matter, HP Inc asked Apple to revoke its printer driver code-signing certificates. It appears this request backfired as it left users unable to print. An HP Inc spokesperson said on Friday night:

We unintentionally revoked credentials on some older versions of Mac drivers. This caused a temporary disruption for those customers and we are working with Apple to restore the drivers. In the meantime, we recommend users experiencing this problem to uninstall the HP driver and use the native AirPrint driver to print to their printer.

HP supplied a new driver on Friday to fix the issue:

However, that "fix" is producing this error for some users:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer…

If you're seeing that, try this fix. Go to System Preferences, select Printers and Scanners. Select your printer from the list then delete (-) it. Then add (+) your printer back and select the generic driver to use.

Update: HP Printer Software 5.1 should now be becoming available through Software Update to fix this issue.

(2220 UTC 23 October 2020)

Open >System Preferences>Software Update (Command R will reload and do a fresh check)

If you don't see it there, Apple now has it posted as a separate, manual download.

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

=======================================

I have created a tested “recipe” to resolve this:

A. Get the most recent HP drivers, either from:

or

HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X

or

System Preferences/Software update (it wasn’t there on my MBP, however)

B. Run the installer.

C. When the installer completes, go to System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, highlight the HP printer and remove it. Then add it back. This is necessary because otherwise it may continue to use the now unsigned drivers and it will appear that the problem has not been fixed. Apparently installing the update does not remove the old drivers.

"<utility> will damage your computer" messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.