Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restart loop on 2011 IMac

My 2011 IMac is experiencing a restart loop. After trying many times to enter safe mode the process of holding down all suggested keys and restarting put the computer into single user mode. Where do I go from here to search out and resolve the problem?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 8:38 PM

DavGio Said:

"Restart loop on 2011 IMac: My 2011 IMac is experiencing a restart loop. After trying many times to enter safe mode the process of holding down all suggested keys and restarting put the computer into single user mode. Where do I go from here to search out and resolve the problem?"

-------

Trojan (Looping Item):

That would seem to me to be a looping item - a trojan of sorts that keeps repeating itself. So, you may have downloaded or installed software that is not intend for use on your Mac.

So...

First, clear your Temporary Internet Files - Apple Communities

Then, Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

If Neither Works...

Reinstall the macOS:

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the transfer.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2020 8:38 PM in response to DavGio

DavGio Said:

"Restart loop on 2011 IMac: My 2011 IMac is experiencing a restart loop. After trying many times to enter safe mode the process of holding down all suggested keys and restarting put the computer into single user mode. Where do I go from here to search out and resolve the problem?"

-------

Trojan (Looping Item):

That would seem to me to be a looping item - a trojan of sorts that keeps repeating itself. So, you may have downloaded or installed software that is not intend for use on your Mac.

So...

First, clear your Temporary Internet Files - Apple Communities

Then, Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

If Neither Works...

Reinstall the macOS:

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the transfer.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Restart loop on 2011 IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.