Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iOS 14.1 sync with iTunes on Mojave?

I am presently running Mojave 10.14.6 on my mac and iOS 13.6.1 on my phone. If I upgrade to iOS 14.1, will I still be able to sync with iTunes on my mac? And also copy over photos?

Yes, I'm paranoid. Upgrades often tend to break things without notice. TIA!

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 10:01 AM

When I upgraded our iPad 5 to iPadOS 14, both my Macs showed the advisory illustrated in this Apple support article:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Although not very clear , the download is a small patch for iTunes running under High Sierra or Mojave that allows you to continue to use iTunes to mange your iOS device just as before WITHOUT having to upgrade to Catalina.

I too am upgrade-averse but I have installed the patch on both my Macs I use to manage our iDevices, and there were no issues. They are still running Mojave and High Sierra.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2020 10:01 AM in response to betaneptune

When I upgraded our iPad 5 to iPadOS 14, both my Macs showed the advisory illustrated in this Apple support article:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Although not very clear , the download is a small patch for iTunes running under High Sierra or Mojave that allows you to continue to use iTunes to mange your iOS device just as before WITHOUT having to upgrade to Catalina.

I too am upgrade-averse but I have installed the patch on both my Macs I use to manage our iDevices, and there were no issues. They are still running Mojave and High Sierra.

Nov 17, 2020 3:25 PM in response to betaneptune

Finally did the upgrade! iOS 14.2. Not the easiest, but finally done. And sync appears to work! Trying again with another song unchecked. Now it gets stuck on "Waiting for sync to start". Hey, I'm waiting too! Lovely. Let me guess. Reboot everything. No! A simple restart of iTunes fixed it. But it asked again if I wanted to transfer new purchases from the phone to the mac. It said if I don't they will be deleted from the phone. So of course I want to transfer it. The window also has a checkbox for "Do not ask me again". Ohhhhh-kaaaaay. If I check that checkbox, will it do a transfer or not in subsequent syncs? Again, needed information is absent. Are they trying to annoy us? (Also, instead of saying "transfer" I think it would be better if they would say "copy". Maybe.) Oh, I had to restart the phone and re-sync yet again to get a newly unchecked-in-iTunes song removed from the phone.

Nov 10, 2020 12:10 PM in response to betaneptune

as far a syncing, my MacBook air running Mojave interacts great with my iPad in iTunes.

both are updated and i can control music from the iPad that is playing on the iTunes through a wireless speaker.

the plugged in i can perform everything with iTunes and photos as well as through iCloud.

since i have enough albums in iTunes i never signed up for the music service so i can t advice you there,

all in all i'm happy with Mojave and iTunes today!

Nov 26, 2020 11:32 PM in response to betaneptune

Well, bad news: Sync failed. It ran, but it keeps finding the purchases as listed above again and again, and it doesn't sync the music correctly. I unchecked some songs, ran sync, and they are still on the phone. My Stratosfear album is totally messed up. I have 1, 3, and 4 checked, and all four are still there, but with download clouds. Nothing will give me just 1, 3, and 4. Now what? Nope, I don't like it!

Nov 29, 2020 12:51 AM in response to betaneptune

I deleted the album Stratosfear from the phone. The pop-up said it delete it from all devices, but it was deleted only on the phone. I made sure 1,3,4 were checked and 2 wasn't. Did the sync, and finally it's good! But it keeps saying there are purchases to transfer. An iPhone user guide, in particular. WHY? Well, at least it's only an annoyance. I finally got it to do what I wanted it to do.

Can iOS 14.1 sync with iTunes on Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.