Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I use my gv-d200 with my iMovie

how do I use gv-d200 with iMovie

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 7:19 PM

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the Sony GV-d200 video tape recorder and don't know whether it is compatible with a Mac. So what I am saying here is only assumptions on my part. I believe that the GV-d200 is Mini-DV casette. In any event, I believe that you would plug the tape recorder into your Mac, open iMovie, click on the download button to open the import window, select your device, choose your destination for the download, hit play on the recorder, and then click on Import button in the iMovie import window to start downloading. You would need a firewire cable from your tape recorder into a Thunderbolt adapter to plug into your Mac's thunderbolt socket. You might have to do a 4 pin 400 firewire cable into an 800 firewire cable, and then into a Thunderbolt adapter to your Mac. Not sure what your cable situation is.

Here's a help menu link explaining how to download footage from a tape based camera:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6af9c94c1

Also, there are lots of tutorial videos on You Tube that explain how to import MiniDV to a Mac, so you might check those out.

Importing from tape based devices into the newer Macs running iMovie 10 can be somewhat hit or miss, so no guarantee that any procedure will work.

Hopefully, others who have first hand experience with this issue will chime in here. I just wanted to acknowledge your post and give you some pointers.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2020 7:19 PM in response to fte11ley33

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the Sony GV-d200 video tape recorder and don't know whether it is compatible with a Mac. So what I am saying here is only assumptions on my part. I believe that the GV-d200 is Mini-DV casette. In any event, I believe that you would plug the tape recorder into your Mac, open iMovie, click on the download button to open the import window, select your device, choose your destination for the download, hit play on the recorder, and then click on Import button in the iMovie import window to start downloading. You would need a firewire cable from your tape recorder into a Thunderbolt adapter to plug into your Mac's thunderbolt socket. You might have to do a 4 pin 400 firewire cable into an 800 firewire cable, and then into a Thunderbolt adapter to your Mac. Not sure what your cable situation is.

Here's a help menu link explaining how to download footage from a tape based camera:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6af9c94c1

Also, there are lots of tutorial videos on You Tube that explain how to import MiniDV to a Mac, so you might check those out.

Importing from tape based devices into the newer Macs running iMovie 10 can be somewhat hit or miss, so no guarantee that any procedure will work.

Hopefully, others who have first hand experience with this issue will chime in here. I just wanted to acknowledge your post and give you some pointers.

-- Rich

how do I use my gv-d200 with my iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.