Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After an automatic update, my iPad restarted and now requires a passcode

I have a new ipad. I have never set a passcode. After what appears to be an automatic update ( I never initiated it) my ipad restarted and now requires a passcode. This appears to be a serious problem with the operating system (all bells and whistles and no depth). I have tried the recommended defaults 1234, 0000, 123456, 000000 but they all fail and the ipad is locked for some random period until I can try again. Is the a solution to this problem for non technical people like me?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 4:38 PM

11 replies

Nov 1, 2020 1:54 PM in response to hardanger

I'd say that if you're unable to follow the steps below, because you don't have another computer running iTunes, you may have to take it to an Apple Store to have them perform a factory reset.

1. Open iTunes
  2. Sign into iTunes on your computer. As a security measure, you will need your Apple ID and password to reset the iPad.
  3. Start Recovery Mode
  4. Recovery mode is what directs iTunes to either update or erase the iPad. You need to start this process before connecting the iPad to your computer. Because you'll need to hold down a button or two while connecting the iPad, connect its cable to your computer first, and then you can more easily connect the iPad once recovery mode has started. The process varies a bit, depending on which iPad model you have.
  5. iPad with Home button: Hold down the Top or Side button until the Power Off slider appears on the screen. Drag the slider to turn off the iPad. Then hold down the Home button while connecting the iPad to your computer. Release the Home button only after the recovery mode screen appears.
  6. iPad with Face ID: Press and hold the Top button and one of the volume buttons until you see the Power Off slider. Drag the slider to turn off your iPad. Continue holding down the Top button and connect your device to the computer. You can release the Top button after you see the recover-mode screen.
  7. Restore the iPad to Factory Settings
  8. Once the recover-mode screen appears on the iPad, iTunes should automatically launch on your computer. It will give you the option to restore or update the iPad. Click Restore. Restoring the iPad can take several minutes.

How to Hard Reset an iPad

If your iPad is frozen, preventing you from unlocking it with your passcode, or if it doesn't recognize your taps or the slider doesn't work, a hard reset/hard reboot of your iPad will often do the trick. This forces the iPad to turn off and on, flushing its memory clean. A hard reset, however, does not delete your data.

Press the Home button and the On/Off button at the same time. Keep holding the buttons down until after the screen turns black and the iPad starts up again. When the Apple logo appears on the screen, release the buttons.

You should now be able to access the iPad, provided you know the passcode. If you still need to erase the data and restore it to factory settings, you can do that with iTunes or from the iPad settings.

How to Erase iPad From Settings

If you are now able to open your iPad, you can erase all of your data and return it to its factory default settings without connecting it to a computer.

1. Ensure that your iPad is charged, or connect it to a power source. 
  2. Open Settings; select General and then select Reset. 
  3. Select Erase All Content and Settings. Enter your passcode or your Apple ID password if prompted. This password is the one that's associated with your email address and used to access the App Store or iCloud.
  4. Confirm that you want to erase everything on your iPad. 

After several minutes, the iPad will restart, giving you the same welcome screen as when you purchased it.

Nov 1, 2020 1:17 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thank you. I tried to connect the ipad to a Windows lap top with Itunes but it does not "see" the ipad as illustrated in the examples given in the link. I guess that is because it is locked and waiting for a passcode which I do not have because I never ever set one up. This all started when the ipad was automatically updated and required a restart which for the first time asked for a passcode. The ipad was a gift from my daughter and is only five months old. It has worked flawlessly sine I have had it but is sadly now unusable

After an automatic update, my iPad restarted and now requires a passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.