Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove malware from my MacBook Pro?

Need to get Malware off of my MacBook Pro and am not terrible computer savvy, need help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 6:27 PM

As etresoft wrote it's not malware. However, in light of macOS's obsession with operating system security it might as well be, hence the somewhat misleading dialog box. "Misleading" in that it's likely to cause alarm, leading to inappropriate actions that can easily result in real problems.

I understand that particular problem is now gone, but given the additional troubles you appear to be experiencing his program EtreCheck is likely to provide information that will help others identify what's ailing your Mac.

To use it please read Using EtreCheck - Apple Community. Instructions for posting its report in a reply to this Discussion are included in that User Tip. It is also available on the Mac App Store: ‎EtreCheck on the Mac App Store.

Either one is ok; your choice of one or another or none of the above. Posting its report is likely to help determine what's wrong with Farcebook.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2020 6:27 PM in response to 1Toolman2

As etresoft wrote it's not malware. However, in light of macOS's obsession with operating system security it might as well be, hence the somewhat misleading dialog box. "Misleading" in that it's likely to cause alarm, leading to inappropriate actions that can easily result in real problems.

I understand that particular problem is now gone, but given the additional troubles you appear to be experiencing his program EtreCheck is likely to provide information that will help others identify what's ailing your Mac.

To use it please read Using EtreCheck - Apple Community. Instructions for posting its report in a reply to this Discussion are included in that User Tip. It is also available on the Mac App Store: ‎EtreCheck on the Mac App Store.

Either one is ok; your choice of one or another or none of the above. Posting its report is likely to help determine what's wrong with Farcebook.

Nov 5, 2020 5:27 PM in response to 1Toolman2

There is no evidence of malware in that report. Any dialogs or pop-up boxes characterizing HP software as malware are misleading, as others already noted.

Uninstall the "Norton" / "Symantec" product according to its instructions.

Battery failure - Your battery is reporting that it needs to be serviced.

Get that fixed: Mac Service and Repair - Official Apple Support. A battery in need of service is no longer capable of providing the power a Mac needs to run at peak efficiency when needed. The result is slow performance that manifests when particularly demanding tasks are performed. "Facebook" is probably an example of a resource-intensive task but I don't use it so I wouldn't know.

Nov 2, 2020 5:58 PM in response to Niel

I am just not sure...I have not had the “HP” pop up box again that would not go away but my computer is still running slow at times. The scan showed nothing, but thank you for helping me with that. I am not sure which direction to go from here. I said malware because I googled the message from the box. Attached is a notice of using too much memory just with Facebook open. It will move slowly and leave blank pages as seen in the screen shot. Kind regards, Tim

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

How to remove malware from my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.