Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen time incorrectly showing 24 hours of usage each day.

I awoke this morning to find a notification from the Screen Time showing it was up by 130% this week. What I've found is that since the 23rd of October it thinks I've been on my phone for 24 hours a day.

In reality I only use my phone for about 4 hours per day as well as an iPad that I use for about 3 hours per day.

On the iPad, everything in Screen time appears normal and accurate. On my phone however, it shows me being on the YouTube for 24 hours a day, obviously which is impossible. Furthermore, I only watch YouTube on the iPad anyways.

Does anyone know why this is happening and/or how to fix it? Is YouTube running without my knowledge? Should I just turn off screen time and forget about it? Anything will help.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 7:54 PM

Hey crossdistress,

We understand you're having an issue with the Youtube app showing active in Screen Time, and we want to help! We recommend completing the steps in the following guide to see if it helps: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Let us know how that goes.

Take care.

Similar questions

51 replies

Jan 24, 2021 11:52 AM in response to crossdistress

I’ve been having the exact same bug with YouTube. It was happening a lot and then I updater to iOS 14.3 and the problem went away for a few days. Then it came back, I even deleted the YouTube app, set a limit to only an hour of usage a day; but nothing fixes it. Screen Time shows the YouTube app being active 24/7 despite the app not even being installed on my phone.

Dec 23, 2020 1:36 PM in response to igizza

I've had the same issue. First it was the Safari Browser showing constant usage for 10 straight hours on the website Business Insider. I reset my phone and that fixed the bug. Then a few days later it did it again only this time it said I was using the Medium app (Which is not installed on my device) all day long which, of course, I wasn't. I read an article in Medium earlier that day and it apparently tricked my phone into thinking I stayed on Medium all day long. Definitely a bug in ios. Hoping for a fix soon.

Mar 7, 2021 7:42 AM in response to crossdistress

I noticed my battery suddenly dropping quickly even when my phone was in airplane mode, working off grid. In trying to understand why, I saw that my phone claims the screen is on basically for insane amounts of time (when I have it set to auto lock after 30 seconds) and really barely use my phone. I’ll wake up in the morning and my phone’s analytics show the screen has been on for 5.5 hours- when it hasn’t. Apple support hasn’t been helpful at all- they just want me to reset my phone to factory settings- but clearly, many of us have a big on our phone that’s causing this!

Mar 7, 2021 11:38 PM in response to crossdistress

I have the same problem where my iPad told me that I used YouTube for almost 6 hours as soon as I came back from school. Now my mum is convinced that I actually spent 6 hours. I’m so confused as I don’t use the YouTube app and when I use websites then all screen time on safari also adds to the safari screen time but my safari time was only 50 minutes... I only lost 8% battery and I know my iPad wasn’t on.

Jan 23, 2021 8:18 AM in response to crossdistress

Same thing here - redeemed a gift card yesterday on drop (app where you use a link for certain merchants and get points to collect for a gift card) and woke up this morning to screen time saying my phone was running for 7+ hours straight yesterday (roughly since redeeming the gift card) and literally all night/morning today. The gift card provider vcdelivery.com was marked as running on safari that whole time so I put a 1min app limit on it which is helping so far but I’m not satisfied with masking the issue like that. I did just update iOS the other day so maybe that has something to do with it? I’m seeing some other Jan ‘21 responses here too.

Screen time incorrectly showing 24 hours of usage each day.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.