Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto recovery after the update to photos

I photo library won't open it says it has already been migrated. All photos were not migrated. How can I open the library to recover the photos that were not migrated after the update?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 10:49 AM

As you're on 10.15 there is no way to open iPhoto, so you best bet is to recover the files from the Library package.

Go to your Pictures Folder (or wherever you keep the library) and find the iPhoto Library there. Right-Click on it and select 'Show Package Contents'. A Finder window will open with the contents of the Library exposed. Your files will be ina the folder called 'Originals' or 'Masters' (depending on the version).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 10:49 AM in response to Veej_

As you're on 10.15 there is no way to open iPhoto, so you best bet is to recover the files from the Library package.

Go to your Pictures Folder (or wherever you keep the library) and find the iPhoto Library there. Right-Click on it and select 'Show Package Contents'. A Finder window will open with the contents of the Library exposed. Your files will be ina the folder called 'Originals' or 'Masters' (depending on the version).

Nov 1, 2020 11:47 AM in response to Veej_

I photo library won't open it says it has already been migrated. All photos were not migrated.

When you cannot migrate an library again because of the error message "the library has already been migrated", you can repeat the migration, if you change the filename extension from ".migratedphotolibray" back to ".photolibrary". To get a better migration result the second time, make sure, that the iPhoto Library is on a volume with a compatible file system format, if you have been keeping your iPhoto Library on an external volume.

iphoto recovery after the update to photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.