Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make my child’s “adult” iCloud account into a child account

My son has had an iPad since before “child” accounts existed. How can I convert this account into a child account so I can have him on my family plan as a child

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 12:05 PM

The only thing that determines a child account from an adult account is the Date of birth set for the account.

If you are going to update the Apple ID to have a date of birth which makes its age under 13, then you need to first add the account to family sharing, and then change the date of birth for the Apple ID to under 13.

See here: Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

then here: Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Michaelwzinho86

The only thing that determines a child account from an adult account is the Date of birth set for the account.

If you are going to update the Apple ID to have a date of birth which makes its age under 13, then you need to first add the account to family sharing, and then change the date of birth for the Apple ID to under 13.

See here: Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

then here: Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID - Apple Support

How do I make my child’s “adult” iCloud account into a child account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.