Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Superdrive & iMac

USB SuperDrive won't add or play all CD tracks to iTunes anymore, it stops and ejects after several successful tracks. Tried in all ports, same issue. Cleaned with old CD player laser lens cleaner disc, no change in performance. Chatted with support, was told to take it to an Apple store. Took it to an Apple store and they want me to set an appointment to take in the entire iMac system. Told them nothing's wrong with the system can you please just take a look at this? Nope. Set an appointment. Any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 1:54 PM

You might try finding a CD/DVD drive cleaner disc. Amazon might have one, or maybe your local Walmart or Best Buy. Basically it’s a CD with small brushes designed to clean the read/write head as it passes over the disc.

Other than that it is entirely possible the drive has failed and needs to be replaced. I have been using my SuperDrive for a decade now with no issues but, like spinning hard drives, time takes it toll on moving parts.

Maxell disc cleaner on Amazon

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 1:54 PM in response to WaywardSon65

You might try finding a CD/DVD drive cleaner disc. Amazon might have one, or maybe your local Walmart or Best Buy. Basically it’s a CD with small brushes designed to clean the read/write head as it passes over the disc.

Other than that it is entirely possible the drive has failed and needs to be replaced. I have been using my SuperDrive for a decade now with no issues but, like spinning hard drives, time takes it toll on moving parts.

Maxell disc cleaner on Amazon

Apple Superdrive & iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.