Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What audio formats can the iPhone 12 Pro Max playback?

What audio formats can the iPhone 12 pro max playback?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 12:20 PM

Audio Playback

• Audio formats supported: AAC‑LC, HE‑AAC, HE‑AAC v2, Protected AAC, MP3, Linear PCM, Apple Lossless, FLAC, Dolby Digital (AC‑3), Dolby Digital Plus (E‑AC‑3), Dolby Atmos, and Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+)
  • Spatial audio playback
  • User‑configurable maximum volume limit

iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max - Technical Specifications - Apple

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 12:20 PM in response to gaerisch

Audio Playback

• Audio formats supported: AAC‑LC, HE‑AAC, HE‑AAC v2, Protected AAC, MP3, Linear PCM, Apple Lossless, FLAC, Dolby Digital (AC‑3), Dolby Digital Plus (E‑AC‑3), Dolby Atmos, and Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+)
  • Spatial audio playback
  • User‑configurable maximum volume limit

iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max - Technical Specifications - Apple

Nov 1, 2020 3:14 PM in response to gaerisch

ok. I think 24/48 is the best you'll do. My app (roon) downsamples from 24/96 to 24/48 playing on the device - so I believe that's the dac limit. If you use an external dac like described in the article, you'll be able to go higher. Apple Music may downsample without telling you so it may appear to work. Honestly, be careful of those high res files... I used a spectrum analyzer on mine and many were no different than the "lesser" quality... they looked upsampled. I keep high res and downsampled versions in my Roon library and only downsampled in my Apple Music and Plex libraries. Good luck. I hope I gave you a few insights that help you.

Nov 1, 2020 1:24 PM in response to gaerisch

As Johnathan Burger pointed out, Apple Lossless Audio Codec is ALAC. If you understand the differences between AIFF and ALAC, then the simple answer is yes, it plays both formats. If you don't understand, then both formats are "high quality", but AIFF is not compressed, whereas ALAC is compressed. But unlike mp3, aac, or similar lossless compression, ALAC and FLAC are lossless, meaning no data is lost during compression. If you're not an audiophile and you want to maintain lossless quality, recommend going to ALAC. You'll save a bunch of disk space. Go to AAC if you're ok with lossy and want to save a lot of space. If you are an audiophile you'll pick whichever format you prefer at the expense of space... so have at it. Good luck.

Nov 1, 2020 1:42 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

There are 2 different alac files. One is 96000 kHz @ 24 bit the other is 44,100 kHz @ 16 bit. Both iTunes and my iPhone 7 Plus play these files. As well as AIFF files which are 48000 kHz @ 16 bit. I use AIFF files because it uses error correction in encoding and decoding. ALAC does not use error correction on playback. AIFF also supports metadata info such as artwork. This is why I want to know about the iPhone 12 pro max and it’s playback capability. Otherwise I will have to convert 90% of my library to ALAC. I’m spending $1400 on the iPhone pro max 512 GB , I want to be sure it’ll play the files. I prefer not to compress the files if I can.

Nov 1, 2020 2:57 PM in response to gaerisch

It's a complicated topic due to the choices in the workflow you use to listen to music. Variables include hardware (phone and headset), software, and protocol limitations (e.g., Bluetooth). If you use Apple Music with iPhone and Bluetooth headset, stick with max 16bit / 48kHz (some say 24bit) for your encodings. Don't upsample...ever. 96->48 or 88.2->44.1 or 32->16 or 24->16 is ok. If you go all audiophile, the only real way is to not use Apple Music at all. You can be a tweener, and that's when it gets complicated. Here's a link with more info to get you going: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0

Nov 1, 2020 4:05 PM in response to danielfromsomerset

The best my PC will do is 16 bit/48 khz. I'm thinking of replacing my soundcard to increase bit depth and sampling rate. But the sound quality of my soundcard is good. I use uncompressed because I listen to music through my stereo sometimes (which is connected to my soundcards output). I do sometimes get files from HD Tracks which the files are 24 bit/98 to 192Khz. But they only playback at my PC's soundcard limits. Thanks for the info.

What audio formats can the iPhone 12 Pro Max playback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.