Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Keeps Randomly Crashing, Rebooting, and Showing Extreme Battery Drain

After updating to iOS 14.0.1, my iPhone 7 Plus keeps randomly crashing, rebooting and then showing 10% battery, after being at close to 100%. Why is this happening, and what is Apple doing to fix it??? At this time, you can't go into an actual Apple Store for repairs because of Covid. Good luck getting ahold of anyone on the phone that can actually help. Is this Apple's way to force people to buy the new iPhone 12??? My phone has been perfect and battery typically lasts a day and a half on consistent use, Now has to be plugged in and charing 24/7, and still randomly crashes and reboots. Isn't this how the last class action lawsuit against Apple started?? I have screen shots of several crashes and reboots. This needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY!!!

Please don't force me to go to a Android phone!!

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 5:48 PM

2020-11-02 UPDATE:

I updated the firmware last night before bed. It sat on the charger all night long and was at 100% when removing. I made sure that no apps were running in the background, and got ready for work (maybe 10 minutes). Still at 100%, I went to text my wife, and the phone crashed and rebooted. Once back up and running, the battery said 10%. I captured a screen shot, and then I manually rebooted the phone. Back up to 99%. (See below)

The iOS update to 14.1 didn't fix anything. :-(

I am honestly tired of people telling me that my battery is bad, and I need to take it in for service.

*None of these issue were present prior to iOS update to 14.0.1.

*Battery health didn't say SERVICE on it prior to update.

*No Apple Stores around me with 100 miles accepting appointments.

*I use my phone for work, so mailing it in is not an option.

*Funny how more than 1000 people are experiencing the very same issue, and some of them have brand new phones.

***Unless you are an Apple Representative and have a REAL solution, please keep your comments to yourself.

***I work in IT, I have an advanced education. I'm not an idiot, and have done countless hours of research and troubleshooting.

***If I could go back to my previous iOS before all this happened, I would!!!

Please read the entire thread before commenting. Some of you have some really good information. Many of you key-board know-it-alls just add to the frustration, without really solving any issues as all.

After crash: 

After manual reboot:

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2020 5:48 PM in response to mistterius

2020-11-02 UPDATE:

I updated the firmware last night before bed. It sat on the charger all night long and was at 100% when removing. I made sure that no apps were running in the background, and got ready for work (maybe 10 minutes). Still at 100%, I went to text my wife, and the phone crashed and rebooted. Once back up and running, the battery said 10%. I captured a screen shot, and then I manually rebooted the phone. Back up to 99%. (See below)

The iOS update to 14.1 didn't fix anything. :-(

I am honestly tired of people telling me that my battery is bad, and I need to take it in for service.

*None of these issue were present prior to iOS update to 14.0.1.

*Battery health didn't say SERVICE on it prior to update.

*No Apple Stores around me with 100 miles accepting appointments.

*I use my phone for work, so mailing it in is not an option.

*Funny how more than 1000 people are experiencing the very same issue, and some of them have brand new phones.

***Unless you are an Apple Representative and have a REAL solution, please keep your comments to yourself.

***I work in IT, I have an advanced education. I'm not an idiot, and have done countless hours of research and troubleshooting.

***If I could go back to my previous iOS before all this happened, I would!!!

Please read the entire thread before commenting. Some of you have some really good information. Many of you key-board know-it-alls just add to the frustration, without really solving any issues as all.

After crash: 

After manual reboot:

Nov 1, 2020 6:10 PM in response to Apple_Tricks

Please read the entire thread before commenting. NONE of this was an issue prior to iOS 14.0.1 update. And if it wasn't an obvious problem. These are just a few articles, so go ahead and keep telling me that its a problem with my phone or its battery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/hmmuut/ios_14_beta_causing_reboots/,

https://enter21st.com/iphone-restarts-randomly-after-ios-14-update-fix/, https://tech.co/news/ios-14-battery-drain-reset-2020-10, "And now Apple has confirmed multiple new iPhone problems which require drastic measures" https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/10/03/apple-iphone-problem-ios-14-battery-drain-factory-reset/?sh=6e33536148b8,

https://stanfordartsreview.com/2020/10/09/ios-https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649880

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649880

Nov 1, 2020 4:26 PM in response to Axel Foley

Apparently you aren't really listening to me... It was FINE before the update!! There are no appointments open at any of the locations near me. I have no intension of updating any more firmware until Apple releases a guaranteed fix!! There is an another thread on this somewhere else in the Apple Discussion forums. You gonna tell over 1000 people the same thing who are experiencing this very same issue after updating to iOS 14.0.1???

Nov 1, 2020 6:27 PM in response to Apple_Tricks

I really wish people would read the entire post before commenting... The battery health was FINE and well over 90% capacity prior to this update. "*You can mail your device to Apple if there’s no store open nearby." Can you live without your phone for an undetermined amount of time?? I use my phone for work every day. Why is this so **** hard to understand???

Nov 1, 2020 5:38 PM in response to mistterius

mistterius wrote:

Good advice, for perhaps someone who has a bunch of apps open.

Even better advice for someone who routinely “closes” apps. The apps in the quick-launch screen are not running; they are suspended. Other than the 3 or 4 most recent ones, the aren’t even in memory. Deleting apps from that page actually increases battery drain and slows down your phone. See—>Do not close "background" apps | Communities

Nov 1, 2020 12:26 PM in response to mistterius

In your Screen Shot(s), did you notice what it states next to Battery Health? It states - Service.

You have a battery that needs replacement. They symptoms that you mention in your post are in relation to that. Peak demands by your iPhone's processes are no longer supported by the failing battery. Please have the battery replaced. Thanks.

Axel F.

Nov 1, 2020 2:53 PM in response to mistterius

I am not able to explain why your battery was working normally prior to the update on iOS 14.0.1 . Note that your battery still works however the system indicates that it needs to be serviced (replaced) for your iPhone to work normally.

You may try and update your iPhone to iOS version 14.1 and see if that helps. One other option is to have your iPhone examined at the Apple Store or at an Apple Authorized Service Center. They have the proper tools to diagnose the iPhone.

Axel F.

Nov 1, 2020 5:00 PM in response to mistterius

mistterius,

I can promise you Apple is not doing this on purpose to cause anyone any distress. That is contradictory to the way business’ operate.

Ok, so you are running iOS beta 14.0.1, you should update to the non-beta iOS 14.1 or the current beta iOS 14.2 GM.

As far as your battery draining so rapidly turn off “background app refresh”, this is one of the recommended fixes for beta iOS 14.0.1.

Go to this link, they talk about your issue and how to work around this issue.

https://www.syncios.com/iphone/fix-iphone-7-7-plus-battery-draining-fast-and-overheating-issues.html

I highly recommend you update your iOS to the current, either beta iOS 14.2 GM or non-beta iOS 14.1. This might fix your battery issue. Good luck!

Nov 1, 2020 5:32 PM in response to Ceci-Tigre

Really disappointed with all of this... I've been buying Apple products for over 10 years (from iPods to fully dressed Mac Pros). Yeah they can have quirks from time to time, but I've never experienced anything like this... You'd think a $1000.00 phone should be able to handle any update thrown at it, and last a good long time.

Good advice, for perhaps someone who has a bunch of apps open. I have always closed my apps when I'm done using them. I will try to update the iOS tot he 14.1 in hopes to fix the issue (don't really have any other choice). I will report back my findings after a couple days.

Nov 1, 2020 5:46 PM in response to mistterius

This is not Apple forcing you to buy the iPhone 12, planned obsolescence does not exist with regards to Apple devices.

It’s obvious from the screenshots provided that your battery is in need of a replacement. Poor battery health is one of the most common reasons for sluggish performance and unexpected shutdowns with all smartphones.

Lithium-ion batteries age chemically overtime and as such, their capacity decreases. From time to time your iPhone can shutdown as the battery just isn’t capable of supplying the power needed by the SoC. This is why Apple introduced CPU-throttling back with iOS 10 a few years back.

Get the battery replaced at an Apple Store or authorised service provider so you know you’re getting genuine parts, and reinstated water resistance if your iPhone is equipped with it.

Nov 1, 2020 6:02 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence,

You don’t need me to tell you this, however you are correct. 14.2 GM has, supposedly, been released to developers only. It’s said that it was also released to beta iOS testers in the beta program BUT I can not find iOS 14.2 GM available anywhere to beta program participants. Thank you for keeping me honest... or well educated and informed. I appreciate that.

Nov 1, 2020 6:23 PM in response to mistterius

I understand your frustration but in your provided screenshot you can clearly see that your battery is in need of a service.

Whether this new update is actually responsible for these issues, I don’t know. Not all devices are affected, only some.

What I do know however is that a phone with poor battery health is going to suffer in terms of performance, even if you hadn’t installed iOS 14 you would definitely have had problems sometime in the future.

My advice would be to get the battery replaced anyway, and keep an eye out for any new updates that’ll patch the battery drain issue your iPhone may be suffering from.

*You can mail your device to Apple if there’s no store open nearby.

iPhone Keeps Randomly Crashing, Rebooting, and Showing Extreme Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.