Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot find System Photo Library

I've just switched to a new iMac (Catalina). Now Photos says "cannot find System Photo Library". My system photo library is displayed in the "Choose Library" window when I start with the option key. I've even created a new system library and Photos can't find that one either.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 11:53 AM

Added: Have you given "Full disk access" to photos?

If not, you may also want to give "Full Disk Access" to Photos, in the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy. Select "Full Disk Access" in the sidebar, then click "+" to add Photos.

You may also check the access to "Files & Folders" for Photos.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2020 11:53 AM in response to léonie

Added: Have you given "Full disk access" to photos?

If not, you may also want to give "Full Disk Access" to Photos, in the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy. Select "Full Disk Access" in the sidebar, then click "+" to add Photos.

You may also check the access to "Files & Folders" for Photos.

Nov 3, 2020 10:33 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I get the message whenever I open Photos. To create a new library, I open Photos with the option key held down and choose Create New...

Then I get this:

I get this same message when I select the other library in my list, or if I double-click the library to open Photos.

The libraries are on the internal drive. I didn't move them from the location they where in on the old computer.

I don't use icloud for my photos, or sync photos.

Thanks

Nov 2, 2020 12:01 AM in response to Paulveld2020

Hi - can you provide a little more detail?

What are you doing when you get the message, what triggers it. When you created a new library - how do you know it is set as the system library?

Also to help with diagnosis

Where is the library stored (System drive or external drive)? If external - what is the format of the drive?

Is the library on a network drive or in some sort of cloud storage (EG Dropbox or NAS)?

Do you use Icloud to sync photos?

Nov 3, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Paulveld2020

Has the old Mac also been running Catalina?

Have you checked, if the same system version is installed on your new Mac as on the old Mac? You cannot open the library on your new Mac, if the system on the old Mac is a newer version. In that case run a software update on the new Mac.

If the system versions are the same, or the system on the new Mac is the most recent, your home folder may need repairing, after you migrated it to the new Mac, see: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder

Photos cannot find System Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.