Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 not responsive

I've had my iPhone 11 for almost a year now and haven't had any issues, but today I was using FaceTime and when they hung up, there was a grey/black square in the corner of my screen where their image would be if the call was still connected, except that it was a square instead of a rectangle. After that, they tried to call me back and all I got was the grey/black screen again. I can swipe up to go back to the Home Screen, as well as close any apps that were open, but I am not able to interact with any of my apps, end the call, or even turn off my phone. Siri works to call/text, but not to open any apps. I can swipe down to see past notifications and the shortcuts to the flashlight, stopwatch, calculator, etc. I can also screen record, but I can't take a screenshot. If someone texts me, I can swipe down to respond, but am not able to open Messages from there. Also, the screen still automatically goes to sleep and I am able to open it back up and unlock it. I guess what I'm asking is what's wrong with it and how do I fix it?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 8:50 PM

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 8:50 PM in response to alyssachristensen

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

iPhone 11 not responsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.