Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery replacement Macbook Pro Retina Early 2013

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina from Early 2013 and am getting "Service Recommended" notice from my battery. I was wondering if Apple still do replacement batteries for machines this far back?

Are there any general battery health things that I can do to improve it without taking it in for a service?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 1:47 PM

An Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) should be able to do the job, if they have the parts. However, they may charge you more than Apple would – in the retina models, the battery is glued to the underside of the trackpad and keyboard and some locations do not have the capability to remove the adhesive safely (it’s not that it’s difficult, but that solvent use precluded in many retail-type locations), so they replace the entire battery/trackpad/keyboard assembly as a unit.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2020 1:47 PM in response to dg_121

An Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) should be able to do the job, if they have the parts. However, they may charge you more than Apple would – in the retina models, the battery is glued to the underside of the trackpad and keyboard and some locations do not have the capability to remove the adhesive safely (it’s not that it’s difficult, but that solvent use precluded in many retail-type locations), so they replace the entire battery/trackpad/keyboard assembly as a unit.

Nov 2, 2020 12:25 PM in response to dg_121

Yes. Your Mac is 'vintage' but not yet 'obsolete'.

Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

Battery replacement is $199 for a Retina MBP.

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

If it says Service is needed, it is. It just means your battery won't hold as much of a charge, and may power down even if it shows you have charge remaining. But if you can pass on portability and run on AC power, you can use your Mac just fine.

Nov 2, 2020 12:42 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Thanks very much for your reply, thats really helpful!

Can these vintage parts still be sourced by authorised third party repair companies?

I can certainly pass on portability for now but will replace the battery when it really starts to hinder portability. Right now I don't even notice much difference just noticing the service recommended notice.

Battery replacement Macbook Pro Retina Early 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.