Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes always freeze up now?

I've now downloaded iTunes to my new desktop computer four times from the Windows Store and every time I launch it, the software just freezes up. This never happened before on my old desktop when one could still download iTunes directly from Apple. What gives?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 3:35 AM

You can still install iTunes on Windows 10 without using the Microsoft Store. Versionless links for the current builds of iTunes for Windows for 64-bit and 32-bit respectively:

No guarantee it will work any better for you.

tt2

10 replies

Dec 7, 2020 2:36 PM in response to billh11103

I've got iTunes running reasonably well on a number of Windows 10 boxes. Did you think to try temporarily disabling Norton long enough to see if that would let iTunes run and sync music to your iPhone? The advice from Microsoft isn't entirely wrong, Norton and other anti-virus apps don't always seem to play nicely with iTunes, and the specific interactions can change from build to build of each package. I recommend excluding the iTunes folder from real time scanning for just this reason.

tt2

Nov 6, 2020 12:19 PM in response to billh11103

Hi billh11103,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re having trouble with iTunes on your Windows computer. We’re happy to help.

First, try the steps in this article: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

You’ll want to make sure that you’ve also noted the steps under “Make sure that iTunes and its related components are completely installed.”

If that doesn’t help, try these steps from Microsoft: Repair apps and programs in Windows 10

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Nov 8, 2020 4:25 AM in response to billh11103

The 64-bit install of iTunes for Windows includes some 32-bit components.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Dec 7, 2020 1:58 PM in response to turingtest2

I've tried all of the above and I keep getting the same problem. I contacted Microsoft Support and they said the problem was Norton, that iTunes doesn't work with any third-party anti-virus, and that I should uninstall Norton. Obviously, this is incorrect as I've run Norton and iTunes on previous machines for over 10 years without issue. So, I've uninstalled iTunes and installed another audio program. Of course, now I can't synch my music to my iPhone, but clearly no one has an easy answer to this problem that it seems many people are having based on the reviews for iTunes in the Microsoft Store.

BTW, this is what happens:

If Apple ever resolves this problem I'll be back, but it's very frustrating that now my new iPhone 12 is useless for music.

Nov 8, 2020 4:21 AM in response to bailier

Thanks. I tried all steps listed in the first article then downloaded iTunes from the link provided below and had the exact same problem. iTunes freezes if anything is clicked.

The only way to shut it down is via the Task Manager as the program is listed as "Not Responding." Interestingly, there are two other listings in the Task Manager that indicate 32-bit, even though I'm running on a 64-bit machine and downloaded the 64-bit version of iTunes.

Thanks, anyway. I guess I'll have to find another music player for my computer and iPhone.

Dec 7, 2020 2:54 PM in response to turingtest2

No, I didn't bother because the problem is not syncing. It's that the minute iTunes opens it crashes and the only way to shut it down is via the Task Manager. BTW, on the installing and uninstalling of iTunes, most of the instructions didn't work as I didn't have these programs installed to begin with, even from a fresh install of iTunes directly from Apple:

Apple Software Update

Apple Mobile Device Support

Apple Application Support 32-bit

Apple Application Support 64-bit

Not sure where they were supposed to come from, but I never had them.

Like I said, I gave up. It should never be this difficult, as it was never this difficult before iTunes split into Music. My new iPhone doesn't even have iTunes on it. Just Music.

Thanks, anyway.

Dec 7, 2020 4:37 PM in response to billh11103

There are two parallel versions of iTunes for Windows, one delivered via the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 users, the other available directly from apple.com for older Windows or those that don't like using the store. Sometimes switching between them can workaround an issue you're having. Links to the direct download version can be found at the bottom of my troubleshooting tip.

The split on iOS was ages ago. There is still an iTunes Store app for purchasing. The Music app is for listening to music. TV, podcasts, and books get their own apps too. It works, but I still think the split on Macs was the wrong way to go. No idea if/when Windows will lose iTunes too.

tt2

Dec 7, 2020 8:09 PM in response to turingtest2

As I mentioned above, I deleted every iTunes file per the instructions. I didn't mention, but I then also used Revo to clean out any random files that may have still been lurking (of which there were none). I then rebooted and reinstalled the 64-bit Apple version of iTunes linked, and the exact same issue. iTunes would open then freeze. So, I did the full cleaning, and tried with the 32-bit Apple version of iTunes that you linked. And, no surprise, I had the exact same issue. iTunes would open and then immediately freeze. Nothing being clickable on the screen (the mouse wouldn't even move), I shut down iTunes via the Task Manager (screenshot shown above of the offending process). Again, I did the full clean using the instructions given in the link, and tried the Microsoft Store version, as it had been a month since I tried this process (I thought maybe a newer flaw-free version had been put out in the Store). Nope. The exact same thing happened again with the exact same process failing as had done in both the 64-bit and 32-bit installations direct from Apple. So, again I cleaned out all the files per the instructions and for the last time tried downloading an older 64-bit version of iTunes directly from Apple. I can't remember what version I downloaded and installed, but surprise, the exact same thing happened for what, the fifth time? Yeah, I can't be bothered any longer. This has been going on for a month, and I've spent hours of my time on this, all of which is unnecessary. So, now I'm busy cleaning up my actual music files using another software. Sadly, I can't sync to Apple Music any longer on my iPhone. But, at least I've got my collection on my computer.

Why does iTunes always freeze up now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.