Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant install mac os from recovery

how can i create a mac os flash drive because i try to reinstall mac os and it says 2 billion+ hours remaining then says unable to download required files it is a 2011 macbook pro A1278

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 2:12 PM

5 replies

Nov 2, 2020 5:50 PM in response to theintellivore

If you have Linux installed, then check the health of the hard drive using GSmartControl. Post the complete health report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

When trying to boot into Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) it is best to connect the Mac directly to the router using an Ethernet cable (assuming macOS 10.12.6+ was installed at some point).

Unfortunately Apple doesn't provide a method of creating a bootable macOS USB installer using another OS. I am working on a method to do this from Linux as someone a while back linked to a site where there were instructions to create a macOS 10.11 USB installer on a non-compatible Mac since the "installer" can be downloaded from outside the App Store, but I just haven't had the time to pursue it.

cant install mac os from recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.