Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer receive text messages to my cell number on my iPad

I cannot see my cell phone number to check it for iMessage to send and receive messages from my phone number. I see my Apple ID on both my IPad and my IPhone but the phone number does not show up on my IPad. The ipad only give me the option of my email from my Apple ID and does not allow me to uncheck it. I added my phone number to my apple ide and have tried turning iMessage off, rebooting my device, and signing out of my Apple ID and back in but none of those steps have worked. Any other ideas?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 5:51 PM

2 replies

Nov 4, 2020 6:46 AM in response to Techcessories

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services.

However, If paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

WiFi Calling

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling – Apple Support

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, to send SMS/MMS messages from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

No longer receive text messages to my cell number on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.