Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daily TimeMachine backups are too big

Hi community,

since a couple of month my daily backups have sizes between 5 and 60 GB. They take incredible long and often cannot complete (because somehow they stopped to occur when my MBP is idle, although the power nap is on)

What the **** can change 50GB daily? how can I find out, what it is doing all this time and gigabytes?

All usual suspects (like VMs, Downloads etc.) are excluded from Backup

Can anyone explain me, what to do?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 7:20 AM

Don Alberto wrote:

That's what I meant - I have pot them all on ignore

"Time Machine has completed a new backup for you, or get a message saying it can't create the backup,"

or “failed to complete the backup.”

This message reappears most likely the TimeMachine disk is operating in a state of failure and will continue to fail with increasing frequency. The solution would be to replace the drive.

If you need to create a new backup from Mac—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-you-need-to-create-a-new-backup-mh34042/10.14/mac/10.15

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2020 7:20 AM in response to Don Alberto

Don Alberto wrote:

That's what I meant - I have pot them all on ignore

"Time Machine has completed a new backup for you, or get a message saying it can't create the backup,"

or “failed to complete the backup.”

This message reappears most likely the TimeMachine disk is operating in a state of failure and will continue to fail with increasing frequency. The solution would be to replace the drive.

If you need to create a new backup from Mac—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-you-need-to-create-a-new-backup-mh34042/10.14/mac/10.15

Daily TimeMachine backups are too big

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.