📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing location from photos

Since upgrading to IOS 14 the location information at the top of a photo has disappeared. The geolocation map below the photo is there.

a photo taken on my SE(1st) airdropped to my wife’s identical phone does show the location ... her phone is on IOS 13.7.

do a glitch in IOS14 or am I missing something?! Thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 11:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 7:08 AM

Hi there Harrierman,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with your pictures missing the location in iOS 14, and we'd like to share a resource that can help.

Check it out here: Browse photos by location on iPhone

Specifically, the section below may help:

"See where a photo was taken

1. Open a photo, then swipe up to see the photo details.
  2. Tap the map or address link to see more details."

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2020 7:08 AM in response to Harrierman

Hi there Harrierman,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with your pictures missing the location in iOS 14, and we'd like to share a resource that can help.

Check it out here: Browse photos by location on iPhone

Specifically, the section below may help:

"See where a photo was taken

1. Open a photo, then swipe up to see the photo details.
  2. Tap the map or address link to see more details."

Cheers!

Nov 15, 2020 9:36 AM in response to Harrierman

Andrew,

Thanks for those additional details.

Since this only started after updating the iOS software, create a current backup of your iPhone using these steps: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then use these steps to restore it to factory settings: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

After restoring your iPhone, set it up as a new device, and check for the issue with the pictures location again.

Regards.

Nov 10, 2020 2:30 AM in response to ryane77

Hi ryane77

thanks for the reply. I can see the photo details BELOW the photo; map, location etc.

what is missing is the location at the TOP of the photo. In the example screenshots it shows “Holborn museum” in the older iOS version but not the new one, it’s the same photo exchanged between two identical phones by airdrop.

Any ideas?

thanks

Nov 15, 2020 4:38 AM in response to Jeff_W.

Hello Jeff

I've tried turning off and on again, but it didn't solve it.

I've looked back through older photos and can see that the problem only started when I last updated the IOS. Before the update location was displayed, after it, it wasn't.

There is one interesting exception; photos taken at my home; which of course is identified in the "significant locations" menu of the privacy/location settings.

So what do you think?

Thanks for the help so far.

Andrew

Missing location from photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.