Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP printer drivers no longer working on OS 10.15.7

Suddenly, I receive a message that my HP printer/scanner/inkjet and laser jet printers' drivers are malware, and no longer work on any of my iMac computers or other Apple devices. I read that a glitch in the Apple security system recognized HP as malware. In response, HP has asked Apple to pull their certificates. Our only workaround is using generic drivers and losing multi-functions on these office machines. A total non-starter. Is Apple working to fix the issue? Is HP trying to fix their Apple certificate issue? What is the bottom line of this story? Does our HP office equipment now become door-stops?

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 6:01 PM

check out Old Toad's advice:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251980704?answerId=253775777022#253775777022

R

Similar questions

12 replies

Nov 4, 2020 6:11 PM in response to Johnb-one

No bug in 10.15.7. This is actually old news. Almost two weeks ago now HP mistakenly revoked the security certificates for their printer drivers and killed a whole lot of HP printers on Macs. HP admitted its error and released new drivers which can be downloaded directly from HP or through Apple’s Software Update panel in System Preferences. Basically you remove your HP printer from the Printers & Scanners panel, install the new drivers and then add your HP printer back to the system.

Nov 4, 2020 10:43 PM in response to RFeather

my HP printer/scanner/inkjet and laser jet printers' drivers are malware,

This is certainly the sign of the HP certificate problem.

This solution doesn't work.

What steps did you take?

What error message?

The printer driver for my older printer only works with OS 10.14, and we

have 10.15.

You can always downgrade to OS 10.14.

So, my HP printer, which worked just fine until now, does

become a doorstop

What OS was it on when it last worked? Did it work with macOS 10.15?

You can always hope these folks will get their act together.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Get the free Oracle virtual box. install linux in a vm. Share some folder. Print from linux to your printer. Perhaps you can share the linux printer and print to the shared linux printer.

R

R

Nov 5, 2020 10:47 AM in response to Johnb-one

I confirmed that Apple has canceled/dropped the HP certificate. Therefore, nothing from HP will currently load on Apple without Apple Security recognizing it as malware. This is regardless of how you set your security settings. I installed the generic drivers from Apple and I can print and scan, but only basic vanilla stuff with no whistles and bells. Apple and HP will have get together and resolve the certification issue to fix the problem.

Nov 5, 2020 11:35 AM in response to ColoradoNovelist

I don’t understand why, after almost two weeks now, people don’t get it. Don’t people read these forums before coming in and posting like this is something they just now discovered. HP has long since admitted they dropped the ball and hosed thousands of their printers being used on Macs. HP has released new drivers that restore their printers to proper functioning. Catalina 10.15.7 has absolutely nothing to do with the issue. It was just coincidence that 10.15.7 came out around the same time that HP screwed up.

So instead of posting about how someone messed around with the system to no avail just follow the advice of dozens of skilled volunteers that man these forums.

Nov 5, 2020 2:00 PM in response to lkrupp

Before I posted, I downloaded and updated all HP software and drivers. IT DOES NOT WORK. Again today, checked for new HP drivers and associated software. It still does not work. It has been doing this for at least two weeks. According to Apple, HP voluntarily pulled their certificates because of issues. Until HP issues new certificates that Apple will accept, the HP drivers and software do not work. Today, HP issued driver and software updates for the Windows 10 platform, including new certificates. Perhaps they will also issue the updates for the Apple systems, but as of yet they have not. Until HP issues their new certificates with their updates, we are forced to use Generic drivers. And you are right, Apple support can do nothing other than recommend the Generic work around. The fix is in the hands of HP. But it is not a coincidence that OS 10.15.7 came out at the same time. It has everything to do with Apple security rejecting HP with no current certificate.

HP printer drivers no longer working on OS 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.