Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple pencil writing glitch

I have been having a pretty significant issue when taking notes on my 2020 ipad 12.9 in. I'll be writing like normal with the 2nd generation apple pencil, then suddenly there's random lines drawn all around that I didn't make. This happens in any note taking app, not just my preferred app (notability). I have tried just about everything I can think of (new apple pencil, restarting, hard resetting, screen protector off, case off, settings galore) but nothing has worked. I use my ipad/apple pencil for hours and hours every day for medical school, and I hate that at times my ipad is essentially useless. I have seen others having similar issues, but have yet to find an actual solution. Can anyone help me out?

(Images of writing glitch attached)

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 7:52 PM

Hi there rossoneri80acm,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're seeing random lines show up when using Apple Pencil to take notes. We'll be happy to help.

You've been through some great steps, and it sounds like you even replaced the Apple Pencil but the same thing happened. Just to make sure we understand the full scope of the issue. Does it happen with the built-in Notes app? Has there been any damage to your iPad? If so, that may be impacting the Apple Pencil and iPad display.

To isolate the issue further, try backing up your data and restoring your backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. If the behavior continues, reach out here: Contact Apple Support

Take Care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2020 7:52 PM in response to rossoneri80acm

Hi there rossoneri80acm,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're seeing random lines show up when using Apple Pencil to take notes. We'll be happy to help.

You've been through some great steps, and it sounds like you even replaced the Apple Pencil but the same thing happened. Just to make sure we understand the full scope of the issue. Does it happen with the built-in Notes app? Has there been any damage to your iPad? If so, that may be impacting the Apple Pencil and iPad display.

To isolate the issue further, try backing up your data and restoring your backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. If the behavior continues, reach out here: Contact Apple Support

Take Care!

Nov 30, 2020 2:21 PM in response to rossoneri80acm

After years of using various smart stylii, like the Apple Pencil and other third party smart stylii, I have found that none are perfect for palm rejection.

If you want to try and eliminate the. palm rejection issues, altogether, the best way you can fix this is that you need to purchase and use a special third party, lycra®material-based, non-body electrical conducting drawing glove to use.

These can be easily found on amazon.com in various sizes and colors.

Best of Luck to You!

Dec 15, 2020 9:40 AM in response to Jessiesuppp

Replacing an iPad without paid, extended AppleCare+ will be pricey, at best.

If your Apple Pencil is less than a year old, you can call contact your nearest, “local” Apple Store location and make an appointment to visit and bring your Apple iPad and Pencil and explain the issues to them and you should be able to get a new Apple Pencil which you can test, in-store, with your own iPad and version of your notes apps to see if this issue goes away, or not.

Also, Apple Store employees can diagnose and test your iPad for any issues.

If any issues are found with your iPad hardware, a replacement iPad will be expensive at approx. 60% of Apple’s original price for that iPad.

Best of Luck to You!

apple pencil writing glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.