Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to mute AppleTV

I just learned about the function where AppleTV can "learn" another IR remote volume function (via Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control > Learn New Device…).

When it did the learning, it asked me to hold the buttons for THREE functions: volume up, volume down, and mute. And it acknowledged learning all three. Great.

Volume up/down from the Apple Remote work great, maybe even more reliable than the "native" remote.

But...how do I take advantage of the learned mute function??

This is with tvOS 14.2 on a 4th gen AppleTV.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 2:53 PM

since the appletv remote does not have a mute button and the remote app also does not then I do not believe it's possible

4 replies

Nov 6, 2020 3:29 PM in response to Rudegar

Yes, exactly. It's the AppleTV remote learning function itself which prompted for the mute button.

The "native" IR remote being learned is from decades ago -- nothing "smart" about it. It's not a universal; it's specific to a stereo preamp.

--- 5 minutes later ---

To clarify, once my "native" IR volume functions (up, down, mute) are learned by AppleTV, I can now operate that old stereo preamp volume via the plus (+) and minus (-) buttons on the physical AppleTV remote. There's just no (obvious?) mute button.

How to mute AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.