Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can hear music, radio, podcasts on my iphone 11 pro max with earbuds. But I can't hear audio in phone mode.

I have been successful using audio earbuds for both music, podcasts, audio books, iheart radio, etc. and phone for months. Suddenly, the phone audio seems muted as it switches to normal phone audio or speaker mode if selected. Not at all sure why. New earbuds and adapters.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 5:07 PM

2 replies

Nov 11, 2020 8:01 AM in response to erniet00

Hi erniet00,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with audio through your EarPods. It sounds like it's not working.

Check out the steps here: If your headphones don't work with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

"If you can't hear any sound or if only one side of your headphones works

1. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons on your iOS device or use the Volume slider in Control Center
  2. To see if you need a replacement, try a second pair of headphones. If the second pair works, contact the manufacturer of the initial pair and ask if you need a replacement. If the second pair doesn't work, contact Apple Support. "

Have a fantastic day!

Nov 11, 2020 8:54 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, none of those suggestions worked. I think I must contact Apple Support. This started just following an IOS update to 14.2. I did see other posts where this occurred previously to other users so the exact reason is not all that clear. I liked the suggestion that Apple wants to encourage accessory purchases to use airbuds.

I can hear music, radio, podcasts on my iphone 11 pro max with earbuds. But I can't hear audio in phone mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.