Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My texts to a group message are failing after some iOS 14 update

Hi, when I try to send a message to an existing group, my messages fail.

This is NOT an iMessage (blue bubble) group. At least one person has an Android and so my text bubbles are green. My messages to iMessage groups work fine.

I have SMS, MMS, and Group Messaging turned on. I’m on AT&T.

I just talked to another friend with an iPhone who is having the same issue with some of her SMS/MMS groups. But she is on a different carrier.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 8:59 AM

2 replies

Nov 11, 2020 5:39 PM in response to sarahfelldown

Greetings sarahfelldown,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems group SMS/MMS messages are failing to send on your iPhone.

Test after deleting the group conversation (make sure to save attachments). If the issue persists, check for an iOS update, and check for a carrier settings update. Reach out to your carrier to check provisioning, as group SMS/MMS route through your wireless carrier if the issue continues:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

"If you have issues with a group message

If you’re in a group message and stop receiving messages, check if you left the conversation. Open Messages and tap the group message. If you see a message that says you left the conversation, then either you left the conversation or you were removed from the group message. You can rejoin a group message only if someone in the group adds you.

To start a new group message:

1. Open Messages and tap the Compose button  to start a new message.
  2. Enter the phone numbers or email addresses of your contacts.
  3. Type your message, then tap the Send button .

If you have other issues with a group message, you might need to delete the conversation and start a new one. To delete a group message:

1. Open Messages and find the conversation that you want to delete.
  2. Swipe left over the conversation.
  3. Tap Delete.

When you delete a message, you can't recover it. If you want to save parts of a message, take a screenshot. To save an attachment in a message, touch and hold the attachment, tap More, then tap Save."

Kind regards.

Dec 9, 2020 6:09 PM in response to sarahfelldown

My carrier, Sprint, told me I can only send group chat/texts now using cellular and must have wi-fi tuned off, due to the recent iOS 14 update. They said this is an Apple issue, and not a Sprint/T-mobile issue. All of the sudden the past two months my group texts have been failing unless I am on cellular only. Why???

My texts to a group message are failing after some iOS 14 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.