Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My external drive will not mount after installing 10.15.7 supplemental update. Was working prior to install.

My external drive, which contains my Time Machine backups, no longer mounts since I updated to 10.15.7 supplemental update. I can use Disc Utility and it will show the price, but it is greyed out. Tried to use the utility to mount the disc but. no luck. Left drive connected overnight thinking it may have to be indexed but no luck. Using a Kingston Nucleum hub and a Seagate 2 TB drive. The drive has two partitions, one containing the backups and the other Photos, music etc.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 12:46 PM

Try connecting without the hub. You may still need a USB adaptor, but the hub is more complex (has more ways to fail) than a simpler adaptor.

If you can, try connecting the drive to another computer, preferably one with a direct USB connection where no adaptor is required.

Does the Seagate external drive have Seagate's custom software/firmware implemented? If it does, that might be a possible incompatibility, as the OS advances, sometimes these manufacturers' custom firmware is not compatible.

If none of the above provides any relief, try booting into Safe Mode, can you see the external drive then?

If still no success, I would take the drive to an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Easy to replace a backup drive but since this has Photos etc., you need to explore all options. The drive may have failed, my wife's external backup drive just failed last week. We replaced it with another backup drive and everything is backed up again, but unless your other files (photos ...) are also backed up, you will want to try a service shop if nothing else works.

My approach to backups is to keep two backups of all files that are important, in addition to the originals.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2020 12:46 PM in response to mikepardini

Try connecting without the hub. You may still need a USB adaptor, but the hub is more complex (has more ways to fail) than a simpler adaptor.

If you can, try connecting the drive to another computer, preferably one with a direct USB connection where no adaptor is required.

Does the Seagate external drive have Seagate's custom software/firmware implemented? If it does, that might be a possible incompatibility, as the OS advances, sometimes these manufacturers' custom firmware is not compatible.

If none of the above provides any relief, try booting into Safe Mode, can you see the external drive then?

If still no success, I would take the drive to an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Easy to replace a backup drive but since this has Photos etc., you need to explore all options. The drive may have failed, my wife's external backup drive just failed last week. We replaced it with another backup drive and everything is backed up again, but unless your other files (photos ...) are also backed up, you will want to try a service shop if nothing else works.

My approach to backups is to keep two backups of all files that are important, in addition to the originals.

My external drive will not mount after installing 10.15.7 supplemental update. Was working prior to install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.